Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the valve covers off, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Got the valve covers off, what do you think?

Replacing the coil packs and throttle body heater today so I decided to just do the valve cover gaskets and have a look while I'm in there. The right side seems a little dirtier than the left? What can be used to safely clean the springs and rocker arms or just don't worry and let rotella do it?

Name:  AVA_4524_zps696fa0f2.jpg
Views: 3514
Size:  103.0 KB

Name:  AVA_4525_zps6637edb5.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  97.6 KB

Name:  AVA_4527_zps927b5ab8.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  106.5 KB

Old 06-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks cleaner already than mine was after pressure washing, soaking and scrubbing.
A wise man told me once a long time ago, "Boy, don't fit it if ain't broke."

Old 06-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Carb cleaner will clean the oil off the arms, but it really does not matter. its on the outside of the rocker arms. No real benefit to the engine... other than to look good. Someday when you drop the oil pan to replace your oil pan gasket, you will see all the brown coating. Its fine. Just run Rotella and all will be good.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Dirty? This is dirty....

And after working on it I wonder if I will ever stop smelling like Rotella, SWMBO said she was going to spray me with Lysol...

With four bolts you can have those rockers off as an assembly, mine feel gritty when operated, so I will soak them.

Be sure all your PCV components and passages are clear.

Attached Thumbnails Got the valve covers off, what do you think?-p1050954.jpg   Got the valve covers off, what do you think?-p1050979.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 06-08-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Winching

Thanks for the pic Buzz. With 153k miles this truck it just continues to amaze me how well kept it must have been. Wow I feel bad for the guy who thought he was getting one over on me, by selling it for $3500 with an undisclosed oil leak.. That was fixed with a $12 bottle of white sheppards rear main

Old 06-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

While it is apart, consider reading my sticky at the top of this section on valve train noise then do their step by step inspection cause you will most likely have some wear at your mileage.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:00 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt heads?

It is common to remove the rocker arm assembly before hot tanking heads. Your heads appear to have been tanked at some period, probably when the head gaskets were replaced...lol? Do you know if it has been built in the past. That would explain the clean heads and discoloration on the rocker arm assembly. Never seen a engine with 153k miles that looked that clean. Even without sludge buildup, a amber hue is common, yours look like new aluminum. Nice engine!

Old 06-09-2013, 12:32 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Jmreed81
It is common to remove the rocker arm assembly before hot tanking heads. Your heads appear to have been tanked at some period, probably when the head gaskets were replaced...lol? Do you know if it has been built in the past. That would explain the clean heads and discoloration on the rocker arm assembly. Never seen a engine with 153k miles that looked that clean. Even without sludge buildup, a amber hue is common, yours look like new aluminum. Nice engine!
You are correct, the head gaskets were done just before I bought it about 10k miles ago. I figured while it was all apart no sense in leaving all the other parts to look their age when the heads are so damn purty:

Name:  photo-23_zpsd65c2212.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  88.6 KB

Old 06-09-2013, 07:16 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Also, make sure you poor oil all over the valve train before you put it back together so you won't damage the rocker shafts, rockers lifters and cam.
By the way did you read and do what I suggested regarding the valve train. if so, what did you find?

Old 06-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Also, make sure you poor oil all over the valve train before you put it back together so you won't damage the rocker shafts, rockers lifters and cam.
By the way did you read and do what I suggested regarding the valve train. if so, what did you find?
Hi Mike, I did check out the link which went right to "Setting Tappet pre-load step by step ". Not going into the valley gasket I figured that wasn't for me. Of course now that I have everything back together I re-read the entire page and saw the section for "Identifing worn Rockers" which is what I now think you were trying to alert me too! It'll have to wait till next time.

Quick Reply: Got the valve covers off, what do you think?