Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greaseable U-joints help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greaseable U-joints help?

Hey guys,
Im in PA and having trouble finding a shop to to my u-joints and center ball. I tried AAMCO and my local mechanic but they both seemed confused and never have done.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

See if you have a local "Drive Line Shop", other wise got to keep call around. I have found that independent tranny shops usually are familiar with this process.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know.

I'll just keep calling around...

Old 05-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or you could order one from Tom Woods. I always throw that out there because I wanted a beefy-er DS. (This is after watching my U-Joints explode on a flat bed tow truck as it was winched up though, shook my confidence a bit!)

Old 05-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salve7
(This is after watching my U-Joints explode on a flat bed tow truck as it was winched up though, shook my confidence a bit!)
How did that happened? I cannot picture what you are talking about. Was the trans in P and the parking brake applied while being winched?

Old 05-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Call a place that works on heavy trucks and ask who does their driveshaft work. Truck shops never replace a driveshaft unless it's completely destroyed, they always rebuild them. Most auto shops just R&R them.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by leadfoot
How did that happened? I cannot picture what you are talking about. Was the trans in P and the parking brake applied while being winched?
The truck was in neutral and the parking brake was off. I think I caught it right before complete failure and just the torque of moving it onto the truck caused it to snap. This was before I had any info on rovers or joined any forums so I was unaware of the DS failure rate. I was towing a popup camper when it happened and all I felt was a harsh vibration, pulled it over and checked the play in the drivetrain. The DS was super loose so I called a tow truck.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by salve7
The truck was in neutral and the parking brake was off. I think I caught it right before complete failure and just the torque of moving it onto the truck caused it to snap. This was before I had any info on rovers or joined any forums so I was unaware of the DS failure rate. I was towing a popup camper when it happened and all I felt was a harsh vibration, pulled it over and checked the play in the drivetrain. The DS was super loose so I called a tow truck.
Very smart man, very smart.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

No I would say lucky. I was about 20 yards from the interstate on ramp so if it had waited 2 more min to fail, I would have been going 70 or so and would have been proper screwed.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah but you were smart to check the driveline for play.

Quick Reply: Greaseable U-joints help?