Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greasing U-joints has created a monster

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should never see grease come out when you lube your u-joints or any other greasable fitting. If you do see grease come out of the boots, you have busted the seal and destroyed any way to prevent water from entering the joint and any way to prevent the grease from escaping - which is the whole purpose of the boot. When you lube a greasable fitting, you should put only enough grease in so that the boot slightly swells. If you put too much in and see grease escaping around the boot, you have broken it and it needs to be replaced.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:26 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeez I thought we had that old wives tale beat, thanks for muddying the waters again. For those confused now you should NOT worry about breaking your seals by forcing grease out, it is not an issue with modern u-joints. Getting all of the old grease out is a good thing and the seals are designed for this.

If you don't believe me here is an article from phil howell:

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...101/index.html

Old 04-11-2010, 07:55 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Seriously!

With how easy it is to get the correct information on how to grease a u-joint I can't believe people keep posting nonsense about "blowing" the seals.
If you stop and think about where a u-joint lives it's life, the environment it's exposed to, what grease does, and ever looked at a u-joint seal, you'll know that "a couple pumps", "just until you see a little come out" and all the other nonesense isn't logical.
But for those non-believers, just ask Spicer (copied their web site, notations are mine):

Name:  How-to-lube-notations.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  74.9 KB