Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For grins and giggles, I pulled the transmission pan today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I would leave the old filter, JB Weld the hell out of it, fill it with the cheapest fluid you can buy and drive it until she wont move anymore.
In the mean time you will be looking for a used tranny and have the filter in that one changed and ready to go sitting in your garage ready for the swap.

As a side note I have been wondering for a while now if somebody built a "deflector" plate to deflect the double cardon away from the transmission when it failed to save the transmission from this fate.
I know that we will never know as nobody will be willing to do this and then "take one for the team", I wouldnt do it either, to expensive of a experiment.

Last edited by Spike555; 03-13-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I would leave the old filter, JB Weld the hell out of it, fill it with the cheapest fluid you can buy and drive it until she wont move anymore.
In the mean time you will be looking for a used tranny and have the filter in that one changed and ready to go sitting in your garage ready for the swap.

As a side note I have been wondering for a while now if somebody built a "deflector" plate to deflect the double cardon away from the transmission when it failed to save the transmission from this fate.
I know that we will never know as nobody will be willing to do this and then "take one for the team", I wouldnt do it either, to expensive of a experiment.
LOL I like your logic Spike. You sure about the old filter though? I mean, how much is a new filter kit? Can the old one at least be flushed out?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Here's a filter kit for the...ZF transmission.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ilter_kit.html

Old 03-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I think that you can get one cheaper than that at O'Reillys.
If you can get the filter cheap enough then change it, but otherwise what do you care?
As long as it drives...

Old 03-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why waste the good JB Weld on the old transmission? Use ducktape and mud!

Old 03-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember somebody about a year ago using JB weld to patch the hole in their pan. It worked fine and I think that they may have ended up selling it so I don't know how long it lasted. I wonder if a driveshaft loop would work on there to keep it from flopping around? Keeping the joints greased is probably the easiest thing though.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Here are a few pictures of the hunk of aluminum I found in the bottom of the pan:

Name:  100_1645.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  47.6 KB
Name:  100_1646.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  38.9 KB
Name:  100_1648.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  63.9 KB

Does that appear to be an important piece to you guys?

Old 03-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What's more important is that green bottle in the pic... Miller Chill?? There's part of the problem!! lol. Just kidding. Don't know about the part but I'm a big fan of the JB Weld. I used it to seal a hole on the high side A/C line on my VW and it never leaked. And I'm using it on my water pump housing (refer to another thread I had going about this) and no leaks so far (knocking on wood)... even after pulling a trailer 800 miles.
I say patch the hole and go for it!!

Eric

Old 03-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by SDinDS
What's more important is that green bottle in the pic... Miller Chill?? There's part of the problem!! lol. Just kidding. Don't know about the part but I'm a big fan of the JB Weld. I used it to seal a hole on the high side A/C line on my VW and it never leaked. And I'm using it on my water pump housing (refer to another thread I had going about this) and no leaks so far (knocking on wood)... even after pulling a trailer 800 miles.
I say patch the hole and go for it!!

Eric

Here's the million dollar question:
Think I ought to get the JB weld in the tubes, or the JB Weld Stik? I was betting on the stick, since it's like play-dough and can be shaped and molded. I want to do it today, but we'll see if I can get it done before dark.

LOL I wondered if someone would call me out. I prefer Bud Light Lime over Miller Chill, but this was the only stuff in the house. Here is my favorite beer:

Old 03-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Does that appear to be an important piece to you guys?"

NO - what that piece holds in is the important part! Speaking of which, I have don't have any experience with JB weld so heres my .57 cents - instead of silly putty, I would have it welded, heck its only aluminum if you lived next door I'd do it, anyways I'd have it welded Because if that fix's it you wont ever have to worry about a piece of putty coming outa your tranny when you least expect it, then have to replace something that was good, the tranny. Don't get me wrong I believe in cheap emergency fixes to get you home from the trail however, once home I always install the permanent fix so it won't bite me in da azz. But if you wanna be cheap just drive a piece of wood in it, once again it'll get you home but do you wanna leave it.

Robert

Quick Reply: For grins and giggles, I pulled the transmission pan today.