Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For grins and giggles, I pulled the transmission pan today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Rover's are intentially made with extra parts so that you can do trail fixes.
That part was inside the tranny as a out of the way storage place but it is the emercancy water pump housing fix.
So when you are in the Amazon and your water pump goes out you just open the tranny, remove that part and then stick it into your waterpump and BAM!, back on the road.
If you hold that piece upto the waterpump you will see that it is a exact fit for the lower upper portion of the upper lower right hand left side of the water pump.
Go look, you'll see.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tornado_735
Here's the million dollar question:

LOL I wondered if someone would call me out. I prefer Bud Light Lime over Miller Chill, but this was the only stuff in the house. Here is my favorite beer:
Holy cow, I love Boddingtons! I haven't had that in almost 10 years. That was my favorite beer. I can't believe I forgot about it though! I have to go out and find some right now. Thanks

Old 03-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I was thinking about it was that I put the tranny into drive the other day just messing around, and the plate that you mount the double cardon joint to started spinning. So I thought maybe it might be ok. Just a thought, and I figure what the hell. If I can get another 500 miles out of it, at least I can drive it around town.
If you have any hope of this tranny living again you do NOT want to run the engine at all. Even in park the torque converter and oil pump in the tranny are turning, if the tranny doesn't have oil and continues to get run you will see the bushing on the TC or the oil pump seize up, very ugly it makes it almost impossible to even remove the tranny. If you can't turn the engine you can't remove the TC bolts.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, I got scared when I read about the hub spinning thingie, too.

Do Not run with the trans dry, any repair efforts will be a waste of time & money.

If you have to, post it on youtube tho'

I'd have it welded - some guys will even bring their rig to your house - last time my bike case was done, it was $15/inch.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's the million dollar question:
Think I ought to get the JB weld in the tubes, or the JB Weld Stik? I was betting on the stick, since it's like play-dough and can be shaped and molded. I want to do it today, but we'll see if I can get it done before dark.

LOL I wondered if someone would call me out. I prefer Bud Light Lime over Miller Chill, but this was the only stuff in the house. Here is my favorite beer:
Go with the stick. It's easier to work with and it cures in about 3 hours.
Excellent choice on the beer... as are Tetley's, NewCastle, etc... nothing like a British ale whilst working on your British vehicle!!!

Eric

Old 03-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jkid
Holy cow, I love Boddingtons! I haven't had that in almost 10 years. That was my favorite beer. I can't believe I forgot about it though! I have to go out and find some right now. Thanks
Haha no problem. I tried it on a whim one day, and loved every drop of it.

Originally Posted by andy
If you have any hope of this tranny living again you do NOT want to run the engine at all. Even in park the torque converter and oil pump in the tranny are turning, if the tranny doesn't have oil and continues to get run you will see the bushing on the TC or the oil pump seize up, very ugly it makes it almost impossible to even remove the tranny. If you can't turn the engine you can't remove the TC bolts.
Originally Posted by greg409
Yea, I got scared when I read about the hub spinning thingie, too.

Do Not run with the trans dry, any repair efforts will be a waste of time & money.

If you have to, post it on youtube tho'

I'd have it welded - some guys will even bring their rig to your house - last time my bike case was done, it was $15/inch.
Yeah, I was sitting here thinking about that too, and I thought "S#!t. I may have just screwed myself." I'm gonna give it a shot though. It wasn't entirely dry, just REAL low.

Originally Posted by SDinDS
Go with the stick. It's easier to work with and it cures in about 3 hours.
Excellent choice on the beer... as are Tetley's, NewCastle, etc... nothing like a British ale whilst working on your British vehicle!!!

Eric
I haven't had Newcastle for a while. I've never tried Tetley's

I am attempting the stick. Worse comes to worse, it doesn't work, and I: 1 - have someone weld it, or 2 - Get a new transmission.

So I'm underneath, and I pull all this shattered aluminum out from the top of this...thing that is bolted just above the pan. I don't know what it is. I started spraying a little bit of brake kleen on the casing, trying to get any residual tranny fluid off. I noticed another piece of aluminum, and try to get it but it disappeared. Not wanting to leave it loose in there, I said the hell with it, and started undoing all of the torx screws that appeared to be bolting the object into place. I got them loose, and it started raining transmission fluid. Now, it may have been the fumes from the brake kleen, or laying on my back with my head looking up (letting the blood pool in the back of my head) but it was kind of trippy watching the transmission fluid fall upwards (me looking at it upside down. LOL!!!

Anyway, I got the object loose, and found the last fragmented piece of aluminum. It occured to me that it would be a little easier for me to start putting the JB weld on the hole this way. So I started putting the weld on, and I failed on the first piece. It fell off, and was too hard to stick again. So I put the other half of that stick on, and didn't touch it, and that's where I stand. Here are a few pics showing my progress...

Name:  100_1658.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  55.4 KB
All the shattered aluminum from the case that got inside.

Name:  100_1655.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  112.7 KB
What the hell is this thing with all the torx screws in it?

100_1662.jpg?t=1237073806
The unknown object loose, showing the innards of some sort of maze of transmission fluid corridors.

I am going to go back down and see how that JB is holding up.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Three Wheeling

That is the valve body, unless you want to play 52 card pick up with about 30 springs, steel *****, and valves don't try to take it apart!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by andy
That is the valve body, unless you want to play 52 card pick up with about 30 springs, steel *****, and valves don't try to take it apart!
LOL Thanks for the warning Andy. I got the first two screws loose when I noticed the shape and such of the ridges, and thought better of it. Then I noticed the larger heads of the torx screws and figured those would let it loose. Sure enough, it did. That's when it started raining transmission fluid, and I mean raining. It soaked both sleeves of my hoodie, and and I had it all the way up to my elbows. I came out of there looking like some kind of emergency surgeon or medic, red fluid up to my elbows.

The first part of the JB I put on there cured great, nice and solid. The second part blended in really nice. It might take another stick and a half before I get the result that I want, and I might cover the outside edges with the JB weld out of the tube.

Like I have said before, if it works, spectacular; if not, I'll be dissappointed, but either way, this is one hell of a learning experience. I have never been this far into the bowels of the drivetrain of a vehicle before. Every inch further I move is more I have learned.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I only got two hours of sleep last night and am beginning to run out of juice, so I will work on getting the rest of that JB on the tranny tomorrow.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:44 AM
Three Wheeling

You know, we have top notch welding equipment here but based on your pics I would try the JB trick first anyhow. It is a lot easier than standing on your ear trying to weld that. Even with the hand control the portable unit on the service truck has that would be a pain.

Quick Reply: For grins and giggles, I pulled the transmission pan today.