Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For grins and giggles, I pulled the transmission pan today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW do you have a new front drive shaft rounded up? The junk yard by me has one I can buy for somthing like 40 bucks. I would be willing to go try to lay hands on it, don't know what it would cost to ship. Maby Spike555 could sneak it on a Fed Ex load;p

Old 03-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andy
BTW do you have a new front drive shaft rounded up? The junk yard by me has one I can buy for somthing like 40 bucks. I would be willing to go try to lay hands on it, don't know what it would cost to ship. Maby Spike555 could sneak it on a Fed Ex load;p
No, I haven't yet. If you could get your hands on it, I could get you the money through paypal, or a transfer or whatever. Of you PM me your address, I can check the shipping, or maybe even come get it if you're anywhere close. I'll start looking around.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I get a 20% discount on shipping, so if Andy gets it for you I can ship it to you.
You guys just let me know what you come up with.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Rock Crawling

"You know, we have top notch welding equipment here but based on your pics I would try the JB trick first anyhow. It is a lot easier than standing on your ear trying to weld that. Even with the hand control the portable unit on the service truck has that would be a pain."

Man - the only thing that comes to mind after reading that is...Wadda Puss. Taht would be like...That hill, swamp, trail looks tricky...O look over here the mine field looks level lets go through it. A lot of the time the easiest way can have the most severe consequences.

I hate when that happens

Old 03-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Night Train
"You know, we have top notch welding equipment here but based on your pics I would try the JB trick first anyhow. It is a lot easier than standing on your ear trying to weld that. Even with the hand control the portable unit on the service truck has that would be a pain."

Man - the only thing that comes to mind after reading that is...Wadda Puss. Taht would be like...That hill, swamp, trail looks tricky...O look over here the mine field looks level lets go through it. A lot of the time the easiest way can have the most severe consequences.

I hate when that happens
Do you actually know anything about welding? The whole point is to repair a broken component and return it to service, just because one method is easier doesen't mean you should automatically reject it, especially as in this case there is nothing but time to loose.
Attempting to get an oil tight weld on an aluminum casting of unknown alloy in a confined space without warping the tranny case, or frying any seals or gaskets is no sure science. I have done it before but that doesn't mean I go out of my way to look for trouble.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by andy
1. Do you actually know anything about welding? 2. The whole point is to repair a broken component and return it to service, just because one method is easier doesen't mean you should automatically reject it, 3. especially as in this case there is nothing but time to loose.
4. Attempting to get an oil tight weld on an aluminum casting of unknown alloy in a confined space without warping the tranny case, or frying any seals or gaskets is no sure science. I have done it before but that doesn't mean I go out of my way to look for trouble.
1. I've been welding (and certified) since 1977
2. True
3. Thats strange I thought muckin gup this job meant buying a new transmission!
4. I don't look for trouble either but, if I'm not stuck in the woods - I fix it permanently.
5. You are the one with nothing to loose, if I'm reading this correctly its not your tranny!

Old 03-24-2009, 06:10 AM
Three Wheeling

Well organizd reply, your right it isn't my tranny. I respect the fact that you obveously have many years of exerience, although certification doesn't mean much to me. I know a lot of top notch certified stick welders with many years of experience who are scared stiff to touch high freek tig. I have never been certified in any welding tenique, my father has had a machine shop on our property since I was 8 I could run any machine in the shop including the welding equipment by the time I was 12. My service truck is set up with a miller trailblazer 302 with the add on high freek unit and wire feeder, I have welded everything from the frame on a 76000lb dozer to .040in aluminum irragation pipe. I am well aware of what it is possible to do.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:25 AM
Three Wheeling

By the way I don't see why "mucking up this job" makes tranny replacement nessisary. The likely outcome of failure is IT LEAKS.... Big deal, then you get out the welder, and try that approach.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

JB weld files down a lot easier than a weld. Plus the transmission fluid left over doesn't catch fire when you put it on.

plllbbbbth. cut it out, you 2...

Old 03-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy

plllbbbbth. cut it out, you 2...
My sentiments right there, I threw in my .03 cents worth and obviously tornado is mature enough to take it or leave it. You may notice tornado hasnt responded to most of them. I'm not giving advice to "andy" in this thread and for the life of me I can not understand why he or she feels they have to make a stand here. Having said that, I agree with okdiscoguy!

Quick Reply: For grins and giggles, I pulled the transmission pan today.