Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

had one of those lightbulb moments tonight

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Sloppy's words make me want to buy another one. I'm torn between an 04 and an LR3. I love the looks of the 04 and the LR3 looks really plastic but I want the towing capacity of the LR3.

I was still in high school when the Discovery hit the American market. Back then all I wanted was a full size pickup. As I got older and learned more I started really getting interested in the Discovery for it's ability to do and go most anywhere and be comfortable doing it. I never even considered a Jeep when looking for a vehicle that I could off-road.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
as i was walking out of the supermarket tonight i was walking through the parking lot looking at the vehicles parked. jeeps(new and old) suburbans and yukons, hondas and toyotas both cars and suv's.

then i see the side rear of my rover and i just stop and look at it from a distance under the lights i was parked under and thought to myself. DAMN THATS A BEAUTIFUL TRUCK.

i really do like these rigs an awful lot

cheers buttheads

joe
I am guess that you dont have these "light bulb" moments very often, and when you do it is a very dim bulb isint it?

Old 03-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my disco one for two months, everyone told me i was buying a problem, but they all shut there mouths when they get in it or even near it. There is something about it that says "i will go right through you and not even notice." everyone that has ridden in it says that they have never been in anything like it. I have already done more to this vehicle than I did to my ford f150 in three years, mostly bringing it up to maintenance. It is my recreational vehicle, it is supposed to sit at the house. But when i walk into my driveway and my choices are 1995 honda civic or 1998 disco, what do you think happens....The wife asks me when I will start leaving it home! Fortunately, there is always something that i need to test drive it for, like new tie rod ends i put on this weekend, which by the way are a beeyatch..I will probably run out of excuses to drive it soon.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:30 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I am guess that you dont have these "light bulb" moments very often, and when you do it is a very dim bulb isint it?

you are correct sir

as i flip off my screen

Old 03-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
you are correct sir

as i flip off my screen
Love you too brother.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:33 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
ha ha Spike that is funny!!! (I guess that also explains why she is your ex-wife?)
and Sloppy write a letter to Land Rover and tell them they need to hire you as there full time official US spokesman, if I didn't already own one your words would have made me want to buy one!
and I agree with you 100% on this, it is a great machine, inside and out, and I am very proud to drive it.

with the economy as bad as it is, i bet i could nudge a few people into LR showrooms

its just a shame that the LR3 is such a gross looking rig. looks too much like a ford explorer from the side profile.

RR's are always pretty and just about sell themselves.

whatever LR does the next gen Discovery has to be somewhat of a throwback to the D1 and D2.

also need to bring the D90 and D110 up to current and sell them here in the US. LR would make a killing for people who want a purely insane off road vehicle.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:40 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Sloppy's words make me want to buy another one. I'm torn between an 04 and an LR3. I love the looks of the 04 and the LR3 looks really plastic but I want the towing capacity of the LR3.

I was still in high school when the Discovery hit the American market. Back then all I wanted was a full size pickup. As I got older and learned more I started really getting interested in the Discovery for it's ability to do and go most anywhere and be comfortable doing it. I never even considered a Jeep when looking for a vehicle that I could off-road.

having test drove both rigs before buying my 04 i can tell you the the LR3 has more power and that is evident. it has never features and a quieter ride,,,,

BUT

i could not get around the look of the vehicle. it just looked half arsed. the interior though elegant was TOO elegant. looked like it was trying too hard. all the electronic devises are cool, but if anything fails then you are more likely to have to go to the dealer then to be able to fix it in your garage or driveway. the D1 and 2 are simple and classic rigs that anyone smarter then a box of rocks can drive off road and in snow/ice. and if you own your own wrenches you can use them on the D1/2 and not rely on a dealer and their $50k diagnostic machine that will tell you something that you could easily find out for yourself.

plus it comes down to if you want to spend $20k+ for a LR3 or $10k@ for a D2.

to me it was a clear choice

Old 03-30-2009, 09:44 AM
TReK

how could you not like this more then a LR3????

how man!?!?!?!

Attached Thumbnails had one of those lightbulb moments tonight-1229202444961.jpg  
Old 03-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Team Owner

This last winter I was thinking about this, and if I knew how to send feed back to Tata Motors I would.
But this last winter as I was doing my route and watching US Mail carriers driving their Ford Explorer's, from the passenger seat, I thought..."what if LR sold a right hand drive diesels for US Mail carriers here in the US?"
Great MPG, full time 4x4 for the deep snow and RHD so they dont have to reach across to steer and use the brake and gas pedals.
Subraru offers RHD cars for sale in the US to Mail carriers, so why not LR?
That was my light bulb idea.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:49 AM
TReK

this is a terrific idea,,,

but the 2 biggest issues with the US government is that buying british rigs for US carriers in,,, in some parts of the country would look bad for 2 reasons,,,

1: the cost of a LR TDI is much more then a stripped down subaru wagon.

2: most americans have been brainwashed into thinking diesels are the worst things ever for pollution even though they are cleaner and more efficient then a lot of petrol engines,,,,

so in conclusion the US is dumb,,,

Quick Reply: had one of those lightbulb moments tonight