Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Shifting After Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 05:15 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning Mike - just digesting the many comments before I update. Also, need to get online to reply.

You don't/can't with the exception of the adaptive memory, why do you ask, do you have codes, if so what are the fault code numbers?
No lights, no codes, as read by my OB2 reader. I ask because other end their posts with a solution as getting the electronic computer that plays into the automatic shifting reset by the dealer. And in many cases there is no mention of codes or lights.

What does the Adaptive memory handle? Shifting points and RPM when shifting? What are the steps to reset, and the Pros and Cons of Resetting? Can a normal OBD2 reader reset it or a Bluetooth based one?

Last edited by mcaslan; 05-05-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

See http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...w8JvuMOe-adTug for the next level up from an OBDII reader, which may see a code (or not, depending on which computer in the truck generates the code). The tranny ECU measures data on each shift and uses that to "evolve" the shift pattern, so in theory it might clear up, but some Rover codes take 40 drive cycles with no problem to erase themseleves. Hope springs eternal.

As you will see from attached page from RAVE, there are up to seven computers (ECUs) in the truck that share the OBDII data path. The standard code readers readers usually do not speak all seven "dialects" and ignore the other signals. You can get to pro shop level equipment, but if you have a $2000 Disco, spending that kind of money may not make sense.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 obdii port 1.pdf (442.8 KB, 132 views)
Old 05-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by CANAMDiscovery
So, in doing a change in the transmission fluid it is be expected the truck will shift hard and need potential programming? Is this a normal thing to experience.
Here I was thinking, drain the old, add the new and be done. Am I missing something?
"NO", it is not to be expected, at all.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

It would be worth while to have the adaptive memory reset so the tranny ecu will relearn your driving habits and can clean up shift issues, if not mechanical failings.
You will need a shop with a test bok or something as capiable like an auto logic computer with Rover soft ware, to reset the adaptive memory.
I have had this done 2 times over my 9 plus years with my D2 and the results were instant.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:34 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the guidance.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
re: reset adaptive tranny ECU memory

From RAVE, it would appear these memory conditions are stored in volatile (vs non-volatile) memory, so battery disconnect and key on position 2 and brake lights pressed to discharge capacitors, and leave for 1/2 hour might do it.

With time, the components in a gearbox wear and the duration of the gear shifts tends to increase, which has an adverse effect on the brake clutches. To counteract this, the EAT ECU applies a pressure adaptation to each shift. To calculate the adaptations, the EAT ECU monitors the pressure modulation used, and time taken, for each shift. If a subsequent shift of the same type, in terms of throttle position and engine speed, has a longer duration, the EAT ECU stores an adaptation for that type of shift in a volatile memory. The adaptation is then included in future pressure calculations for that type of shift, to restore shift duration to the nominal.

I am also a big believer in this: Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx , O'Reilly and other places stock it, as do a lot of tranny shops. It is a synthetic version of the very fine oil produced from the sperm whale, chemically a very long molecule. Also quiets tranny's. A companion product is available for transfer cases. Despite low brow humor, no, it was not whale sperm.
hmmm.... so maybe if not changing filter just doing the slower process of drain flush, drive, drain flush drive in a few weeks, and again to eventually replace al the fluids with allow computer not to have to make such major adjustments all at once? Im going to change mine soon also.. bought it with 84k now at 87k in 6 months ;-) doesnt get such bad gas milage at 25-35mph averages! lol

Old 05-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Well you do have a good point, if memory is reset by hook or crook (or shop with equipment) - does it return to factory fresh, and not have worn parts in computation, and has to "learn" the worn parts? How many shift are required to "learn"? Is learning only in one direction?

You want to change filter, becuase at some point new fluid will make old gunk break loose and cover filter (in some cases, not all), or get into tiny spaces where it should not be.

As for bad gas milage at 25-35mph averages - you now have everyone's attention! Please elaborate.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Winching

Well you do have a good point, if memory is reset by hook or crook (or shop with equipment) - does it return to factory fresh, and not have worn parts in computation, and has to "learn" the worn parts? How many shift are required to "learn"? Is learning only in one direction?

You want to change filter, becuase at some point new fluid will make old gunk break loose and cover filter (in some cases, not all), or get into tiny spaces where it should not be.

As for bad gas milage at 25-35mph averages - you now have everyone's attention! Please elaborate.
hahaha well my average Miles per hr for about 90% of my driving is id say 50/50 30mph in other words I travel basically at that speed to my work up the inter coastal waterway... and speed limit is 25mph... so using my ultra gauge Iver been averaging around 20mpg! not too shabby on this beast! lol as for tranny... i too am going to just do it all but my shifting is great but I can hear some whining underneath.. and I do not know what previous owner did so Im juts going to assume they didn't... also I get a little maybe seems like rumbly humbleness when accelerating.. and also at steady 35ish... no codes except 0430... new battery also... :-) can feel at idle a slight stumble but very slight in park... no gear clashing when driving and shifts seems smooth... I do notice more "looseness" in drivertrain when at 35mph and in D once it shifts all the way up.. then seems a little sloppy... new front drive shaft also installed mostly because I felt this and heard the horror stories... better off safe than sorry! lol

Old 05-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

IMHO this is worth a squirt to see if it will quiet the tranny, worked on two of mine, and companion product worked on Disco tranny case. Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx

Old 05-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Winching

IMHO this is worth a squirt to see if it will quiet the tranny, worked on two of mine, and companion product worked on Disco tranny case. Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx
hmmm.... hmmm... I might check that out... first Ill change fluid and see how it looks at least.... as far as whine.. when I let off gas I do hear a slight clunk like a looseness and assuming its coming from transfer case since when under truck ( newly rebuilt rattle free front drive haft ) I can sometimes ( not always) twist it back and forth and there is a little play and I hear that same chlunk chlunk sound like loose bearings rattling against each other but I do not get any lateral looseness from grabbing driveshaft and pulling and pushing it sideways.. but again not from drive shaft itself... I heard it before rebuild also and on inspection of old drive shaft it wasnt that bad and no slop or dried out bearings.. a little pasty but now its suer smooth...

hehe BTW doing my own maintenance, which I enjoy, I calculated all the repairs and repair costs from dealership and so far I have saved roughly $6,000 in repair and service cost over 6 months! YEEHA! and I have about 800 in parts! calculated on $90/hr part of which was the major service obviously and then some needed repairs and some upgrades... Most of this was just because it is new truck to me so I am doing everything that should have been taken care of before... I expect next 6 months to not have all these issues... lol Seems most people do not know how to take care of these, I can see if you get a good one you can maintain it and enjoy it with occasional %&^*(! but I just make sure it doesnt overheat or run out of any fluids! lol

Last edited by dparham; 05-07-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Hard Shifting After Transmission Fluid Change