Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard start...dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hard start...dies while driving

Thanks for the help, I'll look into it.
Is there a way to jumper the sensor and get it to start.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Mudding

Ok, I backed pinned the fuel pump relay and the power to the fuel pump yesterday. In posit 2 the pump and relay show 13vdc and then goes back to 0, that's the initial surge of the pump before it starts, ie normal. Then in posit 3, crank, the voltage climbs and hits 12-13vdc and voila the engine starts. I left my meter on while running the truck to make sure I kept voltage coming out of the relay to the fuel pump. All good no prob, then once it decides not to start no volt out of relay, sounds like a bad real not closing or something, so I swap with known good relay and same prob. No volt out of fuel relay = no volt to pump. Let it sit and voila voltage coming out again, starts fine.
The charging and starting schematic shows a wire from the ECM to the fuel pump relay. Does anyone know what it's doing? Could the ECM be bad and sending the wrong signal, and not allowing the relay to close like it should? The wiring seems to be all good, I double checked it yesterday and found no problems.

( i do have relays on order for back up)

Old 04-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try connecting the input of the relay directly to the positive battery terminal to bypass the ECU's function. If that works, you could check out the ECU and its wiring for the problem.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Mudding

I don't want it to be an ecu, and really it shouldn't be. I talked to a serbvice rep at LR and there are multiple inputs that the ECM want before it gives the OK for fuel. ie crank and cam position. Geoman has already recommended the cam posit sensor. I am going to check out all the wiring to both sensors and get the codes read. Right now it looks like a sensor.

Geoman, if you happen to check back in on this will the cam sensor let the engine fail/die while running?? Yesterday I got it to run and within 15 min or so it died with no warning and now won't start again.

Thanks to all for the help

Old 04-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Mudding

Okay hooked up a reader and got a P0473 gear 4 code. Cleared code, SES light came right back but reader not showing anything.
Anybody got any ideas I am about to drive it out to the range and have some fun.

Of course it won't start!!

Old 04-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Mudding

Uhh forgot to tell you guys I am dyslexic, code P0734 Gear 4 Incorrect ratio. Only code it picks up. Had the battery disc for a while, maybe ECU lost memory.

Probabaly doesn't help but it's the right one.

Thanks for any and all help.
Rob

Old 04-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Mudding

This is pretty cool talking to my myself.........Update # ?? Anyway talked to a lot of diff people and did some reading, got a crankshaft position sensor on order. As per the repair manual difficult starting and no code is realted to the CKS going bad/failing. Has anyone replaced one? The book shows an adjustment from the "Test Book" after install. Is this just to reset the light??? I do't see what else you could do unless you messed up the spacers or something.

Thanks for all the help, if it wasn't for the forum I would have shot this thing, at least if I don't get an answer on my problem I can read about everyone elses problems. Misery loves company.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Mudding

Ok, got it running again. Changed out the crankshaft position sensor and it started right up with no prob.
It seems to run good, but at a stop in D it wants to go, seems a lil jumpy/idles funny. In park it goes away and driving seems good.
Guess that's the next prob to fix, at least it is starting!!!

Old 05-06-2007, 11:15 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the updates...I'm having what sounds to be exactly the same issue and it's driving me crazy. Just to be sure you replaced the crankshaftpostion sensor and not the camshaft position sensor, right?
Thanks!

Old 05-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Mudding

yes the crankshaft position sensor (CKS), below and behind #7 spark plug. Not a bad job, me and a friend did it in 30 min or so. Let me know if you have any prob.

Quick Reply: Hard start...dies while driving