Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard start...dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 08:49 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hard start...dies while driving

Replaced thesensor and the truck is running great - no stalling for a week or so...Thanks for the info!!

Old 06-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, robdis, it was NOT a bad pump but a bad CKS which cut power to the relay and therefore not allow the pump to cycle and thus killing the engine.

I read the thread and cannot figure howyou determined that it was the CKS and not the pump. Mine has a similar problem and a local wrench told me my pump was bad, so I'm getting a master fuel pump PN E3270 from the Zone. I suppose if my problem persists, I should jump to the CKS. Where did you get yours and what kind of hole did it put in your wallet if you don't mind me asking? Good write up, BTW[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 06-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I troubleshot the system for a while, using my digital multi meter and the wiring schematics from my rave repair manual CD. When the truck would start I had the proper voltage to the fuel realy, start relay and i believe I checked another relay but those are the 2 that matter most in this prob. Power was going through the relay to the fuel pump except when it wouldn't start. I swapped relays just to try and did nothing. There was no way more than one relay was bad and from what I have read/heard the relay usually isn't the prob. I kept troubleshooting and reading and in the repair manual decsrip of the engine mngmnt system it breaks down all the sensors, what they look for, what code they give, and what prob may be assoc. My prob was almost exactly what the manual had written. I ordered a new one from AB and I think it was less than $100. Somewhere around $75+SH.. I didn't really mess with the fuel pump long because when it would die it would just completely shut off, no sputter just dead. If it was a fuel prob, typically you would have some minor probs leading up to it going out completely. It shouldn't be good one start and bad the next. I couldn't find anyone to really help much on this prob, I looked on 3 diff forums. One similar to this had a guy like Mike that suggested looking inot the sensors.
Hope that made since, if not let me know, I'll try to answer any ?'s
Sorry for any typos