Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harsh ride with Terrafirma shocks? No lift, with air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2024, 07:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

A truck will ride harsher with "high end" off road shocks. As mentioned, the valving is different in HD shocks than in factory shocks. This is so that the HD shocks can control the heavier use of an off road vehicle. Different brands will have different behaviors. Shocks designed for a heavier truck will be harsher than ones designed for a lighter truck, on the same truck. Likewise, standard duty, medium duty, and heavy duty shocks will ride progressively harsher. As you add weight - gear, bumpers, winches, racks, jacks, etc. the ride will soften in response to the added weight.

Old 08-01-2024, 08:55 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by H20nSnow
A truck will ride harsher with "high end" off road shocks. As mentioned, the valving is different in HD shocks than in factory shocks. This is so that the HD shocks can control the heavier use of an off road vehicle. Different brands will have different behaviors. Shocks designed for a heavier truck will be harsher than ones designed for a lighter truck, on the same truck. Likewise, standard duty, medium duty, and heavy duty shocks will ride progressively harsher. As you add weight - gear, bumpers, winches, racks, jacks, etc. the ride will soften in response to the added weight.
I took the standard height (and duty) Terrafirmas.

Maybe throwing a bullbar on the front will make it more comfortable, eh?

And load it up in the back

Old 08-05-2024, 08:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I installed the Terra Firma + 2 shocks and springs three years ago , Yes , my kidneys burst . But , I discovered that with new tires , the ride was more soft . Off roading is going to hurt your organs . Maybe lower tire pressure .

Old 08-06-2024, 11:10 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Cheapest way to fix this is lower tire pressure. Not sure the specs for your tire but keep safety in mind, a coffin is cushier but you don't want to be in one. I had medium duty on my old D2 and it was quite a bit harsher, but evened out pretty quickly. I did take it through Death Valley and at least 50 miles of harsh washboards so that probably did it. Putting extra weight will soften it, but bumpers can be pricy and adding weight does affect stopping power depending on your brakes and other added weight. Food for thought.