Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone gone with Turner cylinder heads or blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Has anyone gone with Turner cylinder heads or blocks?

Just kind of day dreaming here but I was thinking if I'm lucky enough to keep my Disco as long as I want to I would eventually want to do a total rebuild or just replace my motor. Has anyone ever gone with Turner engineering? Some say they are great and others say they are shady.

A 4.6 with the iron flanged liners, sports torque cam shaft, with the gas flowed cylinder heads sounds pretty sweet. What about the Td5, is that complicated conversion for an 03 DII? I'm guessing there are some BS regulations to deal with there.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Turner engineering like a lot of other company on "the other side of the pond" build good engines a couple people on here have delt with them.
They all seem to have the same things in common new flanged liners and ARP head stud as oppossed to head bolts.
These things are like small block chevys over their, the use defender for everything from daily transport to ambulances and bucket trucks.
you can have the same work done here you just need a good machine shop, but sleeves are not cheap.

As far as the TD5 thats what everyone whats unfortunately LRNA never sold a diesel disco so your pretty much s*** out of luck.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
Turner engineering like a lot of other company on "the other side of the pond" build good engines a couple people on here have delt with them.
They all seem to have the same things in common new flanged liners and ARP head stud as oppossed to head bolts.
These things are like small block chevys over their, the use defender for everything from daily transport to ambulances and bucket trucks.
you can have the same work done here you just need a good machine shop, but sleeves are not cheap.

As far as the TD5 thats what everyone whats unfortunately LRNA never sold a diesel disco so your pretty much s*** out of luck.
LRNA never sold a diesel disco, but there are certainly tons in the UK. People have absolutely converted V8s to TD5s. It is very hard to do, and I see a lot more people converting them with 300TDi's to not deal with ECU issues.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i stand corrected you can convert to a diesel for about $10,000 and if you never have to have emmission testing, because there are no emmision numbers for a diesel in the USA.
Most staes have a little thing called emmission standards that your truck has to pass, and if it was never sold in the US there are no stardards to go by so it will not pass and is labeled as a gray market car.

Last edited by drowssap; 07-05-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drowssap
i stand corrected you can convert to a diesel for about $10,000 and if you never have to have emmission testing, because there are no emmision numbers for a diesel in the USA.
Most staes have a little thing called emmission standards that your truck has to pass, and if it was never sold in the US there are no stardards to go by so it will not pass and is labeled as a gray market car.
^^Exactly^^ And if its labeled as a gray market car you will have really high insurance.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was in the UK I have had 2 engines from Turner, a 2 1/4 petrol and a 2.5TD. Both engines were fantastic and I would not hesitate to get another or to recommend them. The build quality and back up were fantastic. The 2 1/4 petrol I used in my racing series 3 and never let me down.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a turner 4.6 block last year and have no complaints. The people with turner were great to work with. Other than D&D, I had a hard time finding anyone with more knowledge on this engine.