Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone smashed in their gas tank before?? fixes??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default has anyone smashed in their gas tank before?? fixes??

Wifey "aka" (rookie spotter) was spotting me one day while backing up, and froze when she was supposed to stop me from smashing in my gas tank.... It only fills up to 10.000 gallons/ half-tank when at the pump and has no leaks... it smashed in at the center where the metal skid gaurd is... The tank is plastic but was protected by the metal taking the blow.... If I take off the tank, un bend the metal skid and seperate from the tank, then my question is will the tank be salvageble, in other words being that its plastic and bent with no holes, can it be bent back out to normal without cracking.... maybe carefully heat it up to non dangerous level and push it down from the inside out... Or..... Or..... Or....

just running through my options, will probably get started on fixing this in the next month or two as it is not my daily driver.... still gets barely 100+ miles but is enough to stall the repair for a while....

2000 disco II

Old 12-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I'll bet you can pick up a used one cheaply, if it doesn't return to its normal shape. I assume they don't go bad all that often.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

im sure there are a million available at a pick and pull near you.. also. that's a good excuse to buy a fuel tank skid

Old 12-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

IMHO, from me pulling a used fuel pump at the salvage yard where tanks get damaged by vehicle moving fork lifts, you may find that pump assembly has also been deformed by this close encounter of the grantite kind.... Not very much clearance on the pump assembly even on a new tank.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 12-19-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

The disco pumps are designed to deform and then spring back, just for this exact reason.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Mine stayed sprung, so there must be some sort of limit to it, or maybe just time spent in the compressed position.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:15 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
im sure there are a million available at a pick and pull near you.. also. that's a good excuse to buy a fuel tank skid
X2 on the pull-a-part, or one of the many parts used parts suppliers...and X2 on this being a pefect excuse for a skid plate. Especially since it was her fault

Discovery II Aluminum Fuel Tank Skidplate | Columbia Overland

Old 12-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I did that 2 times before replacing the factory bent support ow a 1/4" skid plate.
Yes, if you pull the support and straighten it out the tank will pop back into its old shape.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep smack the skid plate smooth, the tank should pop back to shape. Aplying heat to the gas tank is a good idear if you want to burn your truck and house down.if your tank does go back to whear it should be check for cracks, is the dent turns white more then likley you will need a new tank.As for the fuel pump if the sender unit works (fuel guage) and the housing isnt cracked you should be ok.If you damaged your pump you can buy just the pump.If so check back mon I am putting a new pump motor in my tank, and I will let you know how it goes.Good luck!

Old 12-19-2011, 10:23 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

On father's day some idiot in our area decided to torch out the bolts on his gas tank.

the tank exploded and gas went on the house and burned it down.

The truck was ten feet from the house and yet it still burned down.

Oh and some idiot burned down a land rover dealership by using an electric drill to drill out a disco one tank. We were doing fuel tank recalls at the time and he decided to use an electric drill to empty the tank quicker. Well apparently what caused the spark wasn't the drill, he wasn't grounded and when he went to flick a piece of plastic left over it caused a electrical discharged which promptly put him on fire along with the truck. The twelve vehicles in the shop including a XK convertible with the top down was ruined by the water sprinklers and the shop closed permanently and those souls were put out of business.

I have seen the pics of the shop and the fire. not pretty at all.

Last edited by Rovin4life; 12-19-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Quick Reply: has anyone smashed in their gas tank before?? fixes??