Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone successfully fixed a cracked front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 10:55 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone successfully fixed a cracked front bumper?

Has anyone had any luck with fixing a front cracked bumper? More specifically the flimsy plastic piece under the bumper and license plate area. I, inadvertently, ran into a cement parking block at the post office the other day, and cracked the front underside of my bumper. I'm thinking Bondo may do the trick. Has anyone tried this and had any luck?

Many thanks,

Pete

Old 06-30-2016, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I fixed mine instantly with a TF Metal Winch Bumper lol.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:41 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for that - haha

no.. not really looking for a new bumper, just want to fix the old one.

Guess I'll just jump in and try bondo and see what happens.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Here in TX the plastic get so brittle from the UV rays you don't even have to hit something for it to crumble.

I've bought 4 D2's lately and only 2 out of the 4 had decent front bumpers, and that's because they were garage kept.

I've seen some bondo attempts and some were okay, but it's just an egg shell sitting on the front of your vehicle vs being an actual bumper. AB sells winch/non winch units that are metal and won't break the bank like an OEM replacement, an ARB, or Tactical Rover Bumper.

You've got nothing to loose so I say go for it. Here in TX (especially the hill country) things tend to walk out into the road at night and go BOOM so I pretty much always slap on an ARB or metal bumper no matter what SUV I've got in my driveway. I totaled out one LR back in the day due to a buck in the middle of the road and I've made sure to not have that happen again.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:52 AM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

I used JB weld on mine a number of years ago and it has held nicely.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:05 PM
7th Gear

Good idea on the JB weld, thanks. I have a few pieces that are missing (small) - probably back in the Post office parking lot - but maybe a combination of JB weld and bondo (with a mesh grid applied first) will do the trick. The bumper is in great condition, just looks wonky with the cracks and missing piece below.

I'm pretty impressed with the construction of the Rover overall. The bumpers are solid, seem well built but that underbody portion is flimsy. Can't complain though, look at many of the new vehicles out on the road today. Plastic over plastic - at least the Rover is well built.

So right now it looks like JB weld it with a combination of Bondo.

Thanks for the input.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

You might be able to build up the back of it with fiberglass sheets and resin. That would give it good strength. Then you could try smoothing it out with Bando to finish it off.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:39 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I just went mechanical with mine - some brass plumbing straps behind and pop rivets. Painted the rivet heads black first and it's basically invisible.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Use Gorilla Glue. Then touch it up with black paint. It is the best solution that I have used.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I fixed mine with JB Weld once, but I had all of the little pieces because, yes, I ran into a concrete block in my own driveway.

I'm also in TX though, and a year later I wasn't thinking while pulling the upper intake and stopped on the bumper, and it shattered in a new spot.

My solution at that point (after checking the price of replacement bumpers) was to get a metal one (ARB).

Quick Reply: Has anyone successfully fixed a cracked front bumper?