Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone tried this bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 12:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts
Default Has anyone tried this bumper

Seems to be the cheapest steel bumper on the market. Comes powder coated. How is quality, fit & look?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175000289304

Old 03-21-2022, 11:35 PM
Mudding
Received 121 Likes on 67 Posts

Looks like a 4 piece bolt together bumper made of visibly thin material...make your own judgements from there. Maybe you just need something that looks nice, but don't have much expectation past that?

The following users liked this post:
The_OGCJR (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 03:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I don't see where it bolts together other than the hoop bolting on.

It"s probably made of 3/16" plate which is adequate. The weight of 70# would support that.

The price is decent. I've say it is probably fine.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I don't see where it bolts together other than the hoop bolting on.

It"s probably made of 3/16" plate which is adequate. The weight of 70# would support that.

The price is decent. I've say it is probably fine.
price is right but there is clearly a seam between the shackle and the bar on the bumper. As was already pointed out. Good stuff ain’t cheap. Cheap stuff ain’t good.

Old 03-22-2022, 09:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Ah, I see that now. Thanks. Actually several pictures I missed last night. Looking at the close ups I also agree on the material thickness. Looks more like 1/8".

That is a bit of an odd design choice, to be bolt together. You'd think that would actually increase their production cost, if there's already welding involved. I've assume pieces are laser cut or water jet cut. There are already bending operations involved. They could make it out of fewer pieces, use less steel, and avoid including several pieces of hardware. Actually, I think being one piece they would actually decrease the number of bends and number of welded seams by 2 or 4 bends and welds.

That is, unless there's actually no welding done at all to the bumper. It may be entirely bends and bolt together, other than the shackle anchors and where the hoop attaches to the mounting plates.

And in fact, I think the hoop is structural. It attached to the ends, not the center. I bet it's there to keep the bolt on ends from being floppy.

In truth, I'd love to have my hands on one just to look it over and study their design choices. Very interesting.

Old 03-22-2022, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

That thing is barely rated as a bug guard IMHO. There was another one for around the same price which was 1 piece which would be a better option.

The following users liked this post:
The_OGCJR (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 02:37 PM
Mudding
Received 121 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
That thing is barely rated as a bug guard IMHO. There was another one for around the same price which was 1 piece which would be a better option.
https://goliathoffroad.com/products/...42222784512247

The following 2 users liked this post by Mntnceguy:
Best4x4 (03-22-2022), mollusc (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 03:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Ah, I see that now. Thanks. Actually several pictures I missed last night. Looking at the close ups I also agree on the material thickness. Looks more like 1/8".

That is a bit of an odd design choice, to be bolt together. You'd think that would actually increase their production cost, if there's already welding involved. I've assume pieces are laser cut or water jet cut. There are already bending operations involved. They could make it out of fewer pieces, use less steel, and avoid including several pieces of hardware. Actually, I think being one piece they would actually decrease the number of bends and number of welded seams by 2 or 4 bends and welds.

That is, unless there's actually no welding done at all to the bumper. It may be entirely bends and bolt together, other than the shackle anchors and where the hoop attaches to the mounting plates.

And in fact, I think the hoop is structural. It attached to the ends, not the center. I bet it's there to keep the bolt on ends from being floppy.

In truth, I'd love to have my hands on one just to look it over and study their design choices. Very interesting.
Its probably designed to be sectional to reduce shipping costs. They can probably pack everything into a couple of cardboard boxes versus having to pay freight costs to pallet and ship it. I would agree that there are better one piece options for about the same or a little more cost. It all comes down to the use case. Do you want something that just looks cool and could maybe handle very mild off-roading or do you need something substantial to handle abuse.

Old 03-22-2022, 04:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 151 Likes on 95 Posts

yes this one is much better and is probably what the ebay one copied to be honest. I've seen a Goliath in person but haven't seen one bashed on. It looks good and sturdy though.

Old 03-22-2022, 06:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 70 Posts

I was close to getting the Goliath bumper but ended up finding a used ARB locally for a great price. I have Goliath sliders though and they've taken some light wheeling hits. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them although they were a bit slow to ship. They missed their original ship date and kept missing the subsequent dates they gave me for completion. I didn't mind waiting but better to under promise and over deliver IMO. Overall, I'd go with them again for the price and product.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried this bumper