Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone tried different plug wires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i put on a set of msd 8mm, they are apperently a new "street grade" from msd called streetfire they work fine. i guess the thing is how long will they work fine? i used the regular copper core champions. $55 or so for the wires, they were the do it yourself ones that you cut to lenth and crimp. a little more work but they dont look like spagetti under the hood.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been using 8mm kingsborne wires with ngk plugs for a few months now and haven't had any issues.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I cant say that the Kingsbourne wires were bad because my problem still persists.
I ran them for close to 3 months.
No codes just a rough idle when hot.
Thought it was the plug wires, changed them and the plugs, no change.
Still getting excellent MPG and runs like a raped ape going down the road.
But when hot and sitting at a stop light she is alittle rough.
I have one pending code, P1883, fuel temp sensor high output.
So once I get the $$ for it I will replace it and see what happens.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by apcollin
I'm willing to pay the extra money... I'm just wondering WHY they're better.

Do the others just stop working after a few months or something?

Everyone says the Mags are the way to go, but I haven't been able to find any empirical comparisons between them and any others...

Do they use better materials, or a different design or something?
If 50 people tell you jumping off a bridge can hurt you are you going to junk and find out why???
They work, they run less resistance, carry more voltage then factory wire and can with stand the terrific amount of heat in our Disco's engine compartment.

If that isn't enough for you, then go save some money and put on whatever you want, just don't come back complaining about them later.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

@Mike,

I see both angles. On one hand, if everyone just sticks to using the Magnecores than we'll never really know if product_x is decent or truly is crap.

On the other hand, if product_x does turn out to be garbage, it's going to cost you more in time and money...if you drop $50 on product_x only to replace it with Magnecore wires a few months later, you just spent $50 more than you needed to (not including shipping) and doubled the amount of time you spent on the job.

Plug wires are a tough thing to argue about. I'd be surprised if many LR enthusiasts have bought several types of plugwires and truly tested them out with an ohm-meter etc. I'd actually be somewhat surprised if there is much difference between wire to wire. Yes the Magnecores are well constructed and seem to be a quality product, but it's kind of a situation of whether they are $50 overkill or not. Me and my wife swapped out the stock wires for Magnecores when she first got the rig, it was a pain in the **** to do and I wouldn't want to have to do it again any time soon...But did it seem to run better? Debateable, if anything I'd put my money on the new plugs making it run better than the wires. Just as long as you stay away from carbon core wires I think you'd be alright.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:23 PM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had STI wires on my truck when I bought it. They crapped out sometime within the 20k miles I put on the truck. I'm not sure when they were installed.

I have Magnecors and NGK Platinums on it now. It's running better than when I bought it.

I'm not sure what it is about the make-up of the Magnecor wires that couples them so well with our engines. They just withstand the Rover heat better than other brands.

And if you're going to change the wires yourself, and with the IM on, trust me when I say this: You only want to do it once.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what brand 7mm wire was on my truck when I bought it 2 years ago. Had champion plugs in it too. The truck seemed to lack power but i did not know any better as I've never before driven a discovery. I recently installed +4 plugs and Magnecor wires, truck idles way smoother and is much more responsive. It just flat pulls hills like a goat now!! I took the advise Mike gave us and ran with it, intake flush, wires, plugs and all, truck runs very impressive considering it's 6000lbs with a 4 liter v-8. Fuel milage for a beach run (over Cascade Mts and 150miles of hywy101) is better now, 16.5mpg - with a leadfoot and loaded with family (including dog) and camping gear. (compared to 14mpg before.) I'm impressed with the extra $50 Magnecor wires personally.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use MSD superconductor 8.5 mm wire b/c they have the lowest resistance i have found for the money and can take a beating from extreme heat. some people probably think its redneck cause its not European but I've used em for awhile and there awesome.

if you wanna give em a try you can order a set for a similar engine config as the rover make sure its a front mount distributor i.e. ford windsor motors... oh and need female sockets type ends!

or you can just spent an hour and make the universal set and cut to length.