Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having a hard time figuring out the CDL in my 2000

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Having a hard time figuring out the CDL in my 2000

I've been reading around and around, and still can't figure out exactly what I have for a CDL. I know one of the "benefits" of the 2000 (and 2004?) was that it has a CDL you can manually engage. Sorry, but after way too much searching I figured I would just ask a few questions:
1. How do I engage it?
2. When would I want to engage it? Stuck in heavy snow or mud?
3. Does it just lock all 4 wheels for equal power?
4. What happens with the TC when this happens?
5. Is it safe to drive like this for a while, or just lock/unlock when needed?

Old 02-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Without the gear shift linkage you will have to crawl under the truck and turn the CDL nipple with a 10mm open wrench.
2. When you need the traction.
3. It locks the center differential, splitting power 50/50 to the front and rear differentials.
4. Nothing happens to TC, it is still supposed to operate as normal. The where some software bugs that caused TC to be disabled if you start your truck with CDL locked, I'm not sure on these details.
5. It's not safe to just drive like this. If you drive on hard surfaces with CDL locked then you will muck up your drive line, don't ever do that. It's for surfaces where you have or will loose traction.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

2. It is best engaged BEFORE you get stuck.
4. Similar to answer #3- the transfer case front and rear outputs are locked, splitting torque 50/50 to the front and rear drive shafts. If the CDL is engaged when the engine is shut off, when you restart it, you will have reduced ABS and TC operation, and their respective lights will appear on the dash. To maintain full ABS and TC, you have to disengage the CDL before you shut the engine off. Then, when restarted, you can re-engage the CDL. There is a work-around provided on Urban Panzer's website http://www.discovery2.co.uk/diff_lock.html which involves cutting a wire to the SLABS ECU. (something I have been meaning to do since I installed my linkage a year ago)
5. ONLY engage the CDL on surfaces where tires may lose traction: snow, ice, sand, gravel, etc. If engaged on solid pavement, and the steering wheel is turned, the front and rear tires cannot spin at the same speed because of traction, and you risk effing your transfer case.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, and thanks a bunch for the info so far! So, when you are in the trails with the truck, do you engage it or wait for a need to?
Also, I remember seeing something a while ago about being able to adapt an in-cockpit level to do this. All I have been able to find is info on putting on in if you don't have it (i.e. a 2003).
The reason I ask is I backed the truck up onto the snow banks to the side of my house last night, and even though I had one tire on the pavement it still had a hard time. Not terrible, but it just made me wonder more about it.