Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help figuring out purge valve/solenoid valve bracket location and connectors

Old 03-30-2015, 06:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Help figuring out purge valve/solenoid valve bracket location and connectors

Well, my son and I are on home stretch on our project rebuilding a D2 4.6 engine from the bottom up with new top hate sleeves.

The engine went in amazingly easily, though now getting everything back on it has proven a bit more challenging.

My brother (it's his house where we are doing the work) did all of the accessory and intake removal before we got there, and he is not very good at documentation so there has been a lot of trial-and-error on what goes where.

For example, we completely bolted down the bell housing before we realized that the connector brackets for the pre-cat O2 sensors were attached using the bell housing bolts. Ugh.

We are about ready to put the motor mounts back on (after which there is effectively no access between the engine and firewall), and all that remains is getting the purge valve/solenoid valve bracket mounted in the right place and connecting it.

Does anyone know where this bracket mounts -- bell housing, cylinder head, somewhere else, left or right side -- and where the connectors come from?

Right now the only "unattached" connector I have at the rear of the engine is a male 3 prong orange-black connector that looks just like the ones used by the front O2 sensors, both of which are connected.

Does this connector go on either the purge valve or solenoid valve? If so, which one?

I know that one of the valves takes the same type of connector that he coil pack/injectors/water and oil temps sensors take, and I have a bunch of them still uncommitted on the front of the intake. Does one of these double back to one of the valves.

We can't drop the engine onto the motor mounts til we figure this out, so any advice/guidance/pictures/etc would be most appreciated.

Austin LandRover Bill

Old 03-31-2015, 08:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

On the rear LH side of the engine there are quite a few connectors.

There is a gray plug with three pins that connects to the Idle Air Control Valve. The IAC mounts atop the intake manifold with two band clamps fastened with small (8mm head) bolts. There is another gray plug with only two pins that goes to the SAI (Secondary Air Injection) solenoid, if you have SAI. The SAI solenoid clips onto a small black metal bracket directly behind the Throttle Position Sensor. Lastly, there is a black plug with only two pins that goes to the Carbon Canister Purge Valve. This valve sits just below the SAI solenoid, supported by the hoses it connects to on either end which are held in place by black plastic retaining clips.

Connectors with orange plastic are only used for O2 sensor as far as I know.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:14 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks, Fast 951 for the guidance on where the bracket mounts. Again, my brother just started taking stuff off to get to the cylinder heads (to his credit, he did build a pressure testing rig to test the block in-place) and given where we found the bracket after his handy work (it was at the back of the engine), I would have thought it belonged there (maybe attached via a couple more bell housing bolts), so half of my challenge is solved.

Now does anyone know what that "extra" orange-black connector lurking near the back LF/driver side of the upper engine is for? Again, I checked all 4 O2 sensors and they are already plugged in, and besides this connector's cable is a too short to reach down the side of the bell housing the pre-cat connector on that side anyhow.

This orphan orange-black connector is driving me crazy.

Also, the coil pack takes 2 black wire spring secured connectors, one on each side, right.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:17 AM
Rock Crawling

. . . and yes, it does have SEI -- my dad owned a hardware store, and he would have loved the plumbing-derived connectors they use on the SAI valve-to-cylinder head pipes.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

not sure about another orange conector

Last edited by dusty1; 03-31-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts
Old 03-31-2015, 10:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by austinlandroverbill
Thanks, Fast 951 .......
This orphan orange-black connector is driving me crazy.

Also, the coil pack takes 2 black wire spring secured connectors, one on each side, right.
Best thing to do would be to snap a pic and post it. Also, get yourself a copy of the Disco II Rave Workshop Manual which has helpful diagrams. Check the Sticky post of Write Ups/How To/Must Read for the link.

Yes, the coil pack has two power connectors, one on each side.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks guys.

Will take off the upper air plenum and snap some pictures once I get back up to my brother's house.

In the meantime, what is the "9" in the picture above? Is it the vacuum line harness?

ANd same for "Sticky post of Write Ups/How To/Must Read": what is this?