Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having tough time bleeding cooling system because I guess I don't know what I'm doing

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 06:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Excellent 1-10 of what to do.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
Ha. Sorry. Obscure reference. Phrase comes from a very old UK tv show. Ignore.

I thought your post seemed a little aggressive. That's all. The tone seemed combative instead of discussion-like.

Each to their own. Especially when it comes to getting the air out of a Discovery.
23 Years in the military. Still going.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Luna
With regards to bleeding. This may sound silly - but - I usually open the bleed port on the upper hose "T" fitting, fill the overflow tank with coolant, (here comes the silly part) put my mouth on/in the overflow tank and blow. The level in the overflow tank goes down and the pressure forces coolant into the system - you can hear air rushing out the bleed port. After two or three times, coolant will start to squirt out the bleed port. I keep blowing coolant out the bleed port as I screw the cap back on. Works every time. Bring on the hazing...
I was actually thinking something similar. Maybe a old rad cap modified so I can pressurize the reservoir a bit. I'm thinking I'll use one of these to create burst of pressure:

Last edited by dr. mordo; 05-18-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I think the sizzling sound is the coolant/water actually at the boiling point. I agree I'd never just play around with a cooling system without being able to monitor the temps. I think the engine ran to hot with the old thermostat, and it either cooked the head gaskets, or it ran so hot it warped the heads.

After it's run a few minutes turn it off, then wait about 10-15min and restart it. Does it run rough and first and then finally smooth out? If so you've almost certainly got blown head gaskets.

If you don't have coolant leaking out you've certainly got air being sucked back into the system as it cools. Cracked coolant jugs, leaking throttle body heater plates, leaking, heater core, and head gaskets will allow air/fuel into the cooling system.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:51 PM
Pro Wrench

I've been trying to think of what that noise would be in that area...

I would love to see the leak down test results.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Luna
With regards to bleeding. This may sound silly - but - I usually open the bleed port on the upper hose "T" fitting, fill the overflow tank with coolant, (here comes the silly part) put my mouth on/in the overflow tank and blow. The level in the overflow tank goes down and the pressure forces coolant into the system - you can hear air rushing out the bleed port. After two or three times, coolant will start to squirt out the bleed port. I keep blowing coolant out the bleed port as I screw the cap back on. Works every time. Bring on the hazing...
I think this is smart. I did it a similar way last time and it made the process effortless.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intend to follow Shane's steps 1-10.

I am renting that cooling system pressure testing kit today from Advance auto. Will let you know where that hissing sound is coming from.

Have that OBD II Interface Universal Car HUD Speedometer Monitor Head Up Display MPH LCD on the way.

As far as foaming, steam cleaned plugs, coolant oil smell, I will inspect tonight. I have not turned on the engine since I discovered that hissing sound. Not firing up the engine until I get that temp gauge.

I've always used green coolant never Dex.

Not bleeding cooling until I find source of hissing steam. Don't see the point.

Best4X4: Did not run rough.

Thanks all!

Old 05-19-2016, 09:13 PM
Pro Wrench

Waiting patiently...

What did you find!!!???

Old 05-20-2016, 07:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tested pressure in the cooling system last night. Pumped up to 16psi and pressure held for over 5 minutes. No loss in pressure. No leaks or hissing sounds. Repeated 3 times no loss in pressure no leaks no hiss.

Maybe the leak is only revealed at higher temps when system expands?

Have bled the system according to LR and Shane and Number9 recos. Temp gauge is coming today or tomorrow. Will fire up engine then and see again.

No codes. No rough running. Oil is clear no coolant. Coolant is clear no oil smell.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:26 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Isn't the expansion tank cap rated at 18psi?

You should pump up pressure to 20psi and have another look see.

Quick Reply: Having tough time bleeding cooling system because I guess I don't know what I'm doing