Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having tough time bleeding cooling system because I guess I don't know what I'm doing

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 03:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new radiator March 2016
new water pump Feb 2016
new hoses April 2016
new thermostat 2 weeks ago, then put old one back in. Old one was working fine.

No waterfall. Bleeding cooling system following LR manual. Heater on, expansion raised, bleeder screw open until just coolant flows, uphill parked.

Pressure tested no leakage at 20psi for 3-4 hours. No drip leaks underneath.

Just overheats after about 15 mins running. Driving me insane.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I mentioned a new radiator because you will never get little debris out of it. I'd be more worried about debris getting stuck in the heater core lines/heater core, but they could still get stuck in the radiator or engine cooling ports as well.

Was the replacement thermostat an aftermarket proline/motorad unit?? If so those aren't to reliable and I've seen plenty labled and sold as 180F units when actually they're 190F's.

If you were to get all the air out, but somehow you have a leak or are getting air in the system the heater core is going to gurgle like crazy on cold startup under acceleration.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hemicharger69
new radiator March 2016
new water pump Feb 2016
new hoses April 2016
new thermostat 2 weeks ago, then put old one back in. Old one was working fine.

No waterfall. Bleeding cooling system following LR manual. Heater on, expansion raised, bleeder screw open until just coolant flows, uphill parked.

Pressure tested no leakage at 20psi for 3-4 hours. No drip leaks underneath.

Just overheats after about 15 mins running. Driving me insane.
The little plastic bits may have toasted your water pump. Did it always overheat through the whole list of repairs, or did that start somewhere along the way? I'm guessing it started somewhere in the process because you wrote "old thermostat worked fine."

Old 05-23-2016, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think a metal impeller spinning at 2.5k is gonna get defeated by a brittle piece of plastic. I'd think it would just blow it into smaller pieces and send it on it's way to the heater core, radiator, or to a closed thermostat.

Also I noticed there wasn't a fan clutch on that list. That could be some of the issue if it's not helping to pull in more air at idle. 03/04 = buy a 99-02 fan blade, and replacemebt fan clutch.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:11 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

How did you bleed with the engine stone cold and the heater on at the same time?

I'm guessing you were posting in a hurry and you didn't really bleed it while it was running?

Old 05-24-2016, 05:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Fan clutch test - use your hand to spin the fan with the engine cold. If it spins past one rotation, it's toast.

I agree, little plastic chunks won't stop the water pump from turning. At worst, they'd block water passages, but I doubt that would cause this problem unless they were huge chunks.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fan clutch is tight. Cannot spin past 1-2 oclock from 12 oclock.

Was bled with engine running from stone cold as per LR manual, Shane, Number9, on earlier pages of thread. By the way, opened bleeder screw with engine running, rev'd engine and coolant gushed out stronger. Think water pump is working.

Heater was on.

I pieced together found bits of plastic and matched against missing lip of blown tee- connector. Whatever is lodged in the cooling system is smaller than a pencil point. There may be no plastic at all because unaccounted bits of plastic probably fell out of the hose when the thing blew apart.

Anyway, my next step is to reverse flush then temp gradient check the rad, water pump, hoses section by section, once infrared temp gauge and OBD2 Torque coolant temp monitor get delivered.

If still overheating then start tearing things down, replacing parts some that are just 2-3 months old starting with the thermostat, then rad, then water pump, then heater core. Can't believe this.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

If the thermostat is not the OEM 180F unit it needs to be replaced regardless!!! Aftermarket ones are crap! Spend the 80.00 and get an actual functional thermostat.

Throwing parts at it is kinda silly. First replace thermostat with OEM 180F grey thermostat, second get an OBDII Scanguage II, Ultragauge, to monitor temps, add 50/50 coolant with the nose up, startup let idle and monitor temps.

I doubt the waterpump is the problem unless your impeller is stripped, or plastic and broken which is causing it not to move any coolant. Make sure no debris is in front of the radiator as well.

Last edited by Best4x4; 05-25-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:45 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

wow, this may be the most persistent overheating problem I've seen on the boards. keep at it, you'll get resolution.

one other thing came to mind. I once had a heater return hose go bad and it would balloon up when it got hot allowing air in at the connection. replaced hose, tightened worm screws all around, done deal. maybe check all hoses and tighten connections if you haven't already.

The following users liked this post:
hemicharger69 (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 06:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
How did you bleed with the engine stone cold and the heater on at the same time?

I'm guessing you were posting in a hurry and you didn't really bleed it while it was running?
He said it again:
Was bled with engine running from stone cold as per LR manual
Manual does call for bleed with engine not running. OP doing his way.

Last edited by number9; 05-25-2016 at 06:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Having tough time bleeding cooling system because I guess I don't know what I'm doing