Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD 2003 Rear Bumper Option

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 06:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HD 2003 Rear Bumper Option

Well now I have the ARB bumper on the front I am looking for a HD rear bumper. I am wondering what my options would be. I know that I am not looking for the tubular design as I want to retain my rear lights. So what are others running and what are the pro's and con's.

Thanks guys

Old 09-26-2013, 06:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by G Reeves
Well now I have the ARB bumper on the front I am looking for a HD rear bumper. I am wondering what my options would be. I know that I am not looking for the tubular design as I want to retain my rear lights. So what are others running and what are the pro's and con's.

Thanks guys
There's thread started by a forum member / metal fabber in the classified section. Check it out. Seems talented and prices seem fair. PM him for details.

Rovertyme, Terrafirma, ....

Old 09-26-2013, 06:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Old 09-26-2013, 08:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Depends, are you looking to cut anything back there? Are you looking to improve departure angle, or just have something beefier to hit in the case of a rear-end hit?

As Acamato said-

Greg Davis - I have this, it's the best bumper out there as far as price and departure angle.

Terrafirma - I have installed two of these, they are nice bumpers. They do not improve departure angle really at all, but follow factory lines and use factory lights.

Tactical Rovers - Very nice design. Well built, great protection on the sides but doesn't use the stock lights. However, it does have one of greatest features which are metal plates for the corners rather than plastic bumperettes.

RTE- Great bumper, expensive as all hell. Swing away tire carrier is great.

Britpart - I had this one before, nice bumper. Fits very well and is very similar to the Terrafirma.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:26 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Or make your own as I did.

Attached Thumbnails HD 2003 Rear Bumper Option-dscf0058_1.jpg  
Old 09-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote is for Tactical Rovers.

Any bumper that doesn't offer protection all the way to the wheel well missed the boat...but if you dont do any serious off roading, probably not going to be an issue.

I do think a high clearance rear bumper would match better with your front. Mine looks odd in the opposite way, stock up front TR rear...

GD - no 1st hand experience but that metal bar that goes to the wheel well doesn't seem beefy enough to support the weight of the truck being dropped on it. Just a gut feeling...also he deleted the stock hitch and integrated it, not sure how i would feel about towing from it.

TF - no protection to the wheel well, come off a rock onto the rear quarter panel and bend it to the roof line... Roverparts has pretty much the same thing Land Rover Discovery 2 Rear Bumper - Heavy Duty TF not worth the $ without the quarter panel protection IMO, go with the rover parts.

RTE - protection to wheel well. $1,275

Britpart - no protection to wheel well. Does have recovery points.

Tactical - protection to wheel well, no recover points. 1st hand experience...it will make rocks crumble. Starting to get some rust spots under the powdercoating where they made the cuts/bends for the corner guards (where the plastic guards went) Love the integral lights.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Camel Trophy

^Nicely put NY, with the exception of the GD, which in fact has the strongest bumper-to-wheel well protection, a 2x4" boxed steel section.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
^Nicely put NY, with the exception of the GD, which in fact has the strongest bumper-to-wheel well protection, a 2x4" boxed steel section.
Thanks for the feedback Zac.

Does it that 2x4 bolt to the bumper? I see if bolts to the mud flap support, but i i remember GD telling me that those get shipped in another box or at least not connected, but memory is a little hazy...

Never wheeled with one or seen in person, but i know there are quite a few of them out there so i would suspect we would have heard something if it wasn't strong enough.

This just looks pathetic, and i thought the same thing when i installed my TR bumper which has a similar support to the mud flap, one thing TR did different was bend the metal at the top in a L shape. About 1-1/2" - 2" of metal rests on the actual body (not sure if thats a good thing or not....) I guess the bracket helps keep the slush out of the bumper pockets more than anything...

Attached Thumbnails HD 2003 Rear Bumper Option-rear-gd-bumper.jpg  

Last edited by nychaze; 09-26-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Camel Trophy

It's just a secondary mount, it's welded quite heavily to the rear bumper, which has 6 bolts in it. It doesn't go to the chassis like it should, but it's not going to bend and the weld isn't going to break.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Three Wheeling

Go with a Greg Davis bumper, by far the strongest bumper going. The TR one's aren't made nearly as well as the GD one's. I've installed both...Trust me, I've had a Greg Davis one since 2003 and have had zero issues, and if someones gonna bash the **** out of something's it me

Quick Reply: HD 2003 Rear Bumper Option