Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head bolt

Last time I replaced the head gasket, the engine was sitting on a stand -which made ALL the head bolts easy to get off, on, and torqued properly.

As I am trying to pull the heads again - I am having a @#&% of a time trying to get the very last one (nearest to the firewall - on the bottom) off. If I am having a hard time getting it off - I can imagine trying to getting this sucker torqued correctly when I try to put it back together.

And it is not the fact that it is 'stuck' - I just can't get a socket back there.

With that said - I know we have had 'countless' gasket replacement jobs on this board - what do you find (or what do you use - impact not allowed since 'I ain't got one') to fit a socket/wrench combo to get it off - and then put back on?

Thanks in advanced for the help!!

Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need a 1/2" shallow 6pt impact socket with a 1/2" impact wobble extension on a 1/2" breaker bar with a 4' cheater bar. That combination will make it easy. Get the impact socket and extension because they are built stronger and will not break. The 6 pt socket grips the head bolts better and prevents slipping or rounding the bolt. You can get these are tractor supply for relatively cheap.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Ran out to the store and got it - THANKS!!

You saved me a few hours.

I will have to get the 'cheater bar' next - I had one but I think I left it in a J/Y somewhere in Chicago.

I got the bolt off using sheer determination (and a lot of swearing) but I know better to try to reassemble it without the cheater bar....

Thanks again.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Three Wheeling

When you put them back in I don't think you can hardly do it with one person. I had a helper hold the socket in place and watched the angle gage, while I pulled the breaker. This made things much easier. If you need and angle gage, I found mine at Autozone for $9 I belive, and it makes it much more accurate than just marking the socket and trying to get 90 degrees...

Old 02-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoKline
When you put them back in I don't think you can hardly do it with one person. I had a helper hold the socket in place and watched the angle gage, while I pulled the breaker. This made things much easier. If you need and angle gage, I found mine at Autozone for $9 I belive, and it makes it much more accurate than just marking the socket and trying to get 90 degrees...
Very good recommendation, I picked one up awhile ago. Accuracy counts with these head bolts.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Yeah - I have one of those - and I had to make sure the engine and stand were up against the garage wall when I did it so it wouldn't slide around.
Lie I mentioned - it was cake when I had it out of the car - so I am assuming the total opposite when the block is still in the car!!!!!