Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket = replace engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Haven't seen a reply back as to getting more specific information as to "WHY" you need a new engine, or money not an issue for you?
He's in Iraq Mike, he only gets access to a computer a few times a week.
The truck is in his wifes care back in WA.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:09 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes Im stuck in iraq. (good memory btw Spike) and m getting my info second hand from the wife. When m home on R and R in March(?) I intend to tow it to the mechanic and get an itemized estimate and list of damages. So when I get ALL OF THE INFO I will update you guys. Im not in a big enough hurry (or rich enough for that matter. stupid government pay!) to just start throwing money at the problem.

If it is warped heads or a dropped sleeve is it worth it to swap out the engine or get it rebuilt or what?

Im only mechanical enough to change oil or maybe reattach a wire to a tail light. Something of this scale is WAY out of both my abilities to do myself and my experience to make a judgement call on. So I appreciate the time you guys are taking to explain this stuff to me and post links. BTW since i am a government employee if you could explain thing fisher price style it is appreciated (fisher price style involves lots of simple shapes, primary colors and only one letter per block. lol)

more info when i get it!

if i do need to replace it what is the going rate for a engine out of a salvaged/wrecked LR? I know it will depend on mileage and whatnot but maybe a upper/lower limit?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:13 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The cost of an engine varies widely depending on how greedy the yard owner is. You could get one for under $1000 easily and change all the gaskets (yes you can do this once you get back its easy we can help) and then pay someone to install it.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I may hafta invest in an engie stand and try to bribe fred (valkayre) into coming down to lacey one weekend to assist me - wonder how much beer and pizza he will charge ?

How difficult is the change seals/gaskets portion of the project - provided i have a basic tool set and the ability to follow simple instructions 9provided they are presented fisher price style; hey, i AM a government employee)? it would prolly be good for me to learn this stuff anyway...

thanks for the information guys, as always

Old 01-17-2010, 09:46 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I never did any engine work and did not really have too many tools when I did my head gaskets just followed the Rave CD and went to Harbor Freight everytime I ran into a situation where I needed another tool. This is of course assuming the engine is in fact toast.