Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 02:00 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket leak

So I have a dilema. My 01 Disco has a head gasket leak and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to fix it or get rid of the truck. It looks like the heads were replaced prior to me buying it, but we don't have any specifics on the job. I have a great Land Rover mechanic that I trust that will do the work if I choose to do it. I just don't know why the gaskets would blow if the heads were replaced some what recently. Any input? Oh, one more thing. I'm moving from Jacksonville FL to Denver and not sure if I want to go through the hassle of transporting it.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

In Denver you will probably value the 4 wheel drive. You did not list miles on the truck. Quality of initial work might be at issue. Rover engines (and others) use head bolts that actually are "stretched" in the final installation, and can't be re-used, but some of my shade tree brethern of the coast (pirate mechanics) try to. A kit of gaskets and new bolts is under $300. Labor is 10-15 hours depending on shop. We have one poster who claimed he could do it in 5 hours, he must have three extra arms. Of course, speed is not the main factor in HG work, it is attention to detail.

But there is also the possibility that you have other block problems, like a slipped liner, crack, etc. Your mechanic can test for these, to determine if you are a good candidate for a HG job. There is a chemical test he can do to confirm HG leak if needed (combustion gas in coolant test). There is also a coolant pressure test he can do that might show the coolant leak to be elsewhere.

Won't get too much for one with blown head gaskets. Might check www.statewidelist.com, which will allow you to see prices on craigslist for every Rover in a particular state, sorted by city. They might go for more in Denver than in the land of the Jaguars.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:34 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Savannah, thanks for the reply. I do think that my Disco will be a great option for Denver. As for miles, it has 146k on it and at some point the previous owners had the heads replaced. Since they have been replaced I'm thinking about ordering the gasket kit with bolts and doing the job myself (with the assistance of my mechanic friend and the RAVE manual). Also, was thinking I could just have the heads decked and re-using since they're relatively new. Thoughts????