Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Mystery? Can HG leaks come and go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 11:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Talking Head Gasket Mystery? Can HG leaks come and go?

I posted a week ago that I had purchased a 2000 Discovery II, 127k miles. The owner was selling it cheap because of a head gasket leak. He told me that it would heat up after just 20 minutes. I bought it sight unseen and had it towed down from the LA area to San Diego. I spent the last week cleaning it up and dialing things in. I was reluctant to start it up for fear of damaging the engine. I finally started it up and looked for leaks. I noticed a leak apparently coming from the back of each head. A drip every couple of seconds. I continued cleaning up oil residue that coated the engine and found a small leak from the front as well. I haven't yet been able to tell if it is the head gasket, the water pump or the front cover. I may have to pull the fan shroud off to get a better angle.

This afternoon I took it for a drive, with a gallon of coolant in the back just in case. I drove it around for about 30 minutes and then let it idle in the driveway for another 30 minutes. It barely leaked anything and never went above just below the mid-line on the temperature gauge. I am baffled. I know if has issues but for the life of me I can't seem to see where this is leaking that badly. I am wondering if the PO had an air pocket and that was the main source of his problems.

Has anyone experienced intermitent head gasket issues? Leaks one day and then not the next? The PO had parked the truck last summer and hadn't driven it since. Could the gasket have shrunk and then swelled when I started running it again?

Waiting for ideas, comments or suggestions in San Diego! By the way, it drives great, the tranny is smooth as silk and everything works! (although it does sound like the tensioner pulley is squeeking some).

Phil
1999 DI
2000 DII
2001 DII

Old 05-21-2010, 06:30 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes intermittent leaks are common especially on the front cover gasket but you can have intermittent head gasket leaks. I had a front cover leak that could pass a pressure test, be fine for a month then bleed out in a half hour randomly.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default very common

my 95 RR 4.0 did this so intermintently it drove me crazy ...I live in florida so it always showed up when it's 90 every day and you get stuck in traffic..

good luck chris

Old 05-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Do you know the cost of a replacement engine??? it is big so why gamble, If it is leaking have it fixed before you toast your engine.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Mike you always give me sage and common sense advice. I am planning on fixing the HG issue, I am just trying to figure out the extent of the problem. At this point it looks like a HG replacement is in store. I am also thinking that I may have a water pump or front cover leak. the DIIs are a little more congested up front so it is harder to trace the source of the leaks. Thanks again. Phil

Old 05-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If you are not sure about other leaks, go have the coolant system pressure tested.