Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket project.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 12:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
You might want to change injectors now too.
X2, order a rebuild kit for your injectors. I did a gasket job awhile back and the injectors are a no Brainer

Old 03-15-2017, 08:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

So day three has passed. I am FINALLY done tearing down and cleaning all parts. It took me about two hours to remove the passenger side head today. My trouble bolt of the day was easily accessible and just wouldn't hold the socket without slipping off. The passenger side gasket blew badly at the front and rear of the head. I removed a lot of gunk from the block that had leaked out over the last few weeks. The next few hours were spent cleaning all parts and removing gasket material. I also was able to remove my rounded bolt from the water pump (thank you mr air hammer. After removing the water pump the gasket was freakin stuck on there. I was able get a lot of it off and tomorrow my wife is going to remove the rest while I'm prepping everything. Reassembly officially starts tomorrow. Prayers are greatly appreciated that she starts up and runs smoothly.

All of my parts are clean and happy after visiting the parts washer. They were thoroughly wiped down and hit with compressed air.
My block after being decreased and wiped down as good as we could get it.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Oil pump is behind the front cover...pretty easy to change in your current state....

Old 03-18-2017, 08:05 AM
Overlanding
Default Update

So I went to the shop yesterday I tent on finishing this thing. The car gods saw differently. My head gasket kit from Lucky8 was short the gasket between the upper and lower manifold and none of the parts houses had one in stock, so I'm picking it up this morning. I decided to assemble as far as I could without the upper manifold. All that's left now it the upper manifold and it's related hoses and connections. After that I'll refil fluids and start her up. I've put so many hours into this project and I'm a little nervous about start up. We shall see.

Waiting for the upper manifold

Old 03-18-2017, 08:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Great job! You are doing a magnificent job. Hope she is trouble free for months to follow.

Keep up the good work.

Brian.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by thensley723
So I went to the shop yesterday I tent on finishing this thing. The car gods saw differently. My head gasket kit from Lucky8 was short the gasket between the upper and lower manifold and none of the parts houses had one in stock, so I'm picking it up this morning. I decided to assemble as far as I could without the upper manifold. All that's left now it the upper manifold and it's related hoses and connections. After that I'll refil fluids and start her up. I've put so many hours into this project and I'm a little nervous about start up. We shall see.

Waiting for the upper manifold
I thought I lost mine! I bought the same kit and I just knew I saw that damn thing and must have lost it. But now I am absolved lol

Old 03-18-2017, 09:30 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
I thought I lost mine! I bought the same kit and I just knew I saw that damn thing and must have lost it. But now I am absolved lol
Its definitely in the product picture. I'll be calling them on Monday.