Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Project - Video

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 11:42 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Head Gasket Project - Video

Me and my son would like to do a DIY Head Gasket Project and would like to get input from members. The project will be a detailed step by step video of the process of installing the KIT. "Head Gasket for Dummies" and we are the dumb example.
My questions are: How much time involved to get it done? Any obstacles in the process? Any part not included in the kit that needed to be replaced while in there? Any special tools required?
This could probably be a lengthy video since we will include and mention your suggestions from this forum. Our time frame is from April 3 to 9. As our background, we are cinematographers doing music videos, commercials and events.
Initially, the project car is a 2004 Disco with fault codes from misfires. It runs very smooth, no tick yet but consumes a lot of oil from leaks. You can actually see it drip while in idle. The ride seems like new.
We checked all possible camera locations and angles so it wont confuse anyone where the location of parts are located. I am hoping to get guidance from members along the way. Thank you

Old 03-19-2016, 12:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You'll obviously need a good torque wrench. You also may need to get the heads skimmed. Disclaimer: I've never done a head-gasket job myself.

I assume you have done the diagnostics and are 100% certain you have a bad head gasket. Oil leaks could just be valve cover gaskets or other gaskets in other places. Misfires could be plugs, wires, coils, etc.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Great idea. Especially the 'for dummies' bit. Well more, for dummies who happen to have some tools.

I've already picked the shop mine is going to when the HG finally goes. Maybe this could convince me otherwise.

I'd break it down into stages instead of one long video. But that's just me.

I'll be watching.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:19 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

how much time plan? on 12 hours (does not include machine shop time).

tools needed: 24 inch 1/2 drive breaker bar, 1/2 drive 5/8 6-point impact socket,1/4 drive 8mm 12 point socket.

tube has a copy of the head gasket replacement video that British Atlantic did.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:25 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

You'll also need a fan clutch wrench. You can't get the auxiliary housing off (page 30-2-11 in the D2 Workshop Manual) with the fan in place.
And for the exhaust manifold bolts you need a 12mm 12-point socket.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:06 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
how much time plan? on 12 hours (does not include machine shop time).

tools needed: 24 inch 1/2 drive breaker bar, 1/2 drive 5/8 6-point impact socket,1/4 drive 8mm 12 point socket.

tube has a copy of the head gasket replacement video that British Atlantic did.
Drow, Thanks. I just checked the British Atlantic DYI's, is cant find the head gasket replacement, any link? I saw the head gasket instruction but it was just a removed head on the table showed and how the gasket looked like. Also, I have seen the intake gasket procedure only.

Its nice to see those procedures from Professionals with tons of experiences. What we would like to do is the process of how someone with no experience at all to tackle a project like replacing the head gasket. Its the along-the-way difficulties and challenges that we would like to document and the big question, if the engine will turn when completed.

A week and a half ago, armed with some basic tools we did a basic plugs and ignition cable replacement. Thinking that we just need to remove the plugs and follow where the wires went then were all set. But instead we had to dig the coil packs. Thinking that it will take time to remove it, I ran to get new coil packs as well. BUT, the coil packs were deep in the back (we had no idea) then we had to remove the intake manifold. I told my son that I thought I saw it in Youtube that they slid the pack towards the left. But there was no room towards the left. I think there are differences from an SAI and w/o SAI LR's. Everything went ok but we needed the gasket. Ordered it and got it next day. Ran to Advance to get torque wrench according to rave and learned how to use it as well. The day we did the project was bad, it was raining the entire day and we were outside but it was fun. Watching the AB video earlier replacing the intake gasket was great and I just wonder, we did it completely different. We never took the compressor out, the belt, the throttle and our SAI tubes were still there.

Thanks again and hoping to get more input from you along the way.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:24 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

it looks like it will take forever to find, now that they have merged with AB there are posts everywhere.
I have a hard copy that i only seem to find when i dont need it, it wasn't bad maybe 45-minute to and hour video.
the good thing about the BA video was they did made mistakes, they broke tools, it was good to see that stuff too.

there is a lot of stuff you can skip in the rave, but its good to fall back on.

a lot of the things they will tell you to remove can just be loosened and tried off to the side, like the ac compressor, ect.
no need to remove the exhaust manifolds leave them connected at the pipe and use a bundy cord to hold them out of your way things like that.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:48 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I dumb = I would like you to make this video

Old 03-24-2016, 07:17 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
You'll also need a fan clutch wrench. You can't get the auxiliary housing off (page 30-2-11 in the D2 Workshop Manual) with the fan in place.
Scratch that. You don't need a fan clutch wrench -- at least for the LH head. I did mine last night.
You won't be able to get the auxiliary housing all the way off, but you can pull it far enough forward for the stud in the head to clear the housing if you move the head backwards when you're removing it. Installation will presumably be the same as removal: lower the head slightly aft of where it will sit, threading the stud into the auxiliary housing, then move the head forwards into its final position.

The following users liked this post:
LR03NJ (03-24-2016)