Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 09:33 PM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

i've used both the stretch bolts and the arp studs, on two different trucks. didn't care for the bolts at all. they're annoying as hell to try and get to the correct rotation, especially the ones closest to the firewall. plus, if you make a mistake or need to redo anything, you can't re-use them.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinbly
Hi guys,

I just purchased a used 2004 Disco 2 with a supposed blown head gasket for next to nothing. The previous owner stated the car overheated and then there were the typical signs of a blown head gasket - engine misfires white smoke etc.

So I have been reading a lot on these forums about slipped sleeves and cracked blocks which has me a bit concerned. Can anyone share what I should be visually looking for on the block to determine if I may have these issues? I would hate to put it all back together with new parts only to find it was more than just the HG.

i am surprised to see that none of the cylinders have been steam cleaned as they all look about the same. The gasket didn’t have any obvious failure points either.

Any help or guidance you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kevin B
#1: Even small repair shops can typically pressure test your block if you are concerned about a crack.

#2: something caused your headgaskets to fail. You want to fix that cause so that it doesn't negate all of your work and blow your new headgaskets. Typically an overheat condition caused minor warping, so decking the heads will often suffice to fix the cause, but keep in mind that's always just a blind guess. It would be nice to know the root cause prior to starting your new headgasket job, if possible.

#3: Your machine shop will see when they are decking your heads if there was extreme warping. A large enough wave in your head can form a path for coolant to flow erroneously without the headgasket looking blown. You need to know if that's the case here, I'd think.

#4: You can pin your sleeves and/or go to an all-metal Cometic headgasket if you don't want to have to worry about slipping sleeves later.