Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Set Contents

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 12:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Did anyone have fitment issues with gaskets in the Reinz kit? Specifically the valley gasket, exhaust manifold gaskets, the valve cover gaskets, and all of the water outlet O-rings. So far the cyl head gaskets are the only ones that fit properly. I made the valley gasket work but dang near cross-threaded a bolt as some of the holes didn't line-up. I stretched the VC gaskets much as possible without destroying them and tacked on with sealant and sat VC upright on the floor to cure: still unsure if that will work. The metal gaskets for the exhaust stick so far out on the outlet, I'm not sure if even half the exhaust opening is matched to the gasket. It's pretty bad so I emailed a sales rep via the website today but I have been help up so many times on this repair I may run to the store and buy everything else in FelPro. Surely I'm not the only person having this experience.

Last edited by chubbs878; 01-02-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:58 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey chubbs, glad to hear it is going together for you.
I did have to re -do the intake shortly after the initial install (leaked coolant on passenger side) not sure if it was a fitment issue or my error. Valve cover gaskets were very tight to go on but have sealed up well. Did not notice any problems with the exhaust gaskets.
Best of luck
Discoaddictnorth a.k.s. Redtruck12

Old 01-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Discoaddictnorth
Hey chubbs, glad to hear it is going together for you.
I did have to re -do the intake shortly after the initial install (leaked coolant on passenger side) not sure if it was a fitment issue or my error. Valve cover gaskets were very tight to go on but have sealed up well. Did not notice any problems with the exhaust gaskets.
Best of luck
Discoaddictnorth a.k.s. Redtruck12
appreciate ya...
installing the lower valley gasket, I went ahead and copper-coated that gasket around the water passages front and rear for that exact reason. I didn't find much at fault with the cylinder-head gasket, except where that factory sealant had been washed away and was possibly letting water by there from the passage. I think the last big leak came from the front of valley gasket but I can't be sure. either way, hope I handled that little issue with the copper coat, as I used it on the cyl head gasket water passages also. I just hate that this Reinz kit is holding me up. The first kit that I bought showed fitment issues immediately. The Reinz head gaskets fit well, but the next gasket in line, valley pan, almost didn't work and the remaining gaskets aren't even close so I hope to have that resolved tomorrow. in the meantime I removed the injectors from the rail, tested spray pattern, and replaced O-rings. The most time consuming part of this exercise was gathering everything for the test, but once that was in order, it only took 15-minutes to make sure each injector sprayed properly, and re-seat it to the rail with new Orings. Not even a hitch, they all worked well.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
appreciate ya...
installing the lower valley gasket, I went ahead and copper-coated that gasket around the water passages front and rear for that exact reason. I didn't find much at fault with the cylinder-head gasket, except where that factory sealant had been washed away and was possibly letting water by there from the passagell.
I think that my issue was likely an assembly error as the valley pan had shifted off to one side towards the front. Either way it sealed up fine on my "re-do"

Old 06-21-2020, 09:46 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared9220
Here is the picture of the pieces in the head gasket kit that I don't think you will use on a D2.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/at...h-100_1899-jpg

I had the same question you did when I got my kit from AB. I made a Thread a while back when I did my head gaskets and a few other repairs. It might answer some of your questions. If you want to check it here is the link "Doing a major 100k mile service"
I'm in the​the ​​same situation, unfortunately the link to your photo of the remaining parts doesn't work. I'd really like to see it, any help?