Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gaskets, this is getting to be a habit

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

The shop had the truck towed back to Salt Lake from Provo. He even paid the tow bill, eventhough it was taken care of by AAA. I haven't heard from him since he got the truck. I am feeling pretty good about things so far. We also have my cell records, my daughter's cell records and the tow records if things get dicey. Like I said I think this will work out, it is just a pain to try to deal with it from 750 miles away and a shop that I haven't dealt with before. Will keep you posted. Did see a nice LR3 on the way home from surfing this morning. Talked to the guy for a minute or two. He said that it has been a great vehicle with virtually no issues, a couple of small electrical issues under warranty. Dang, this Land Rover stuff is an addiction. My wife would kill me. Phil

Old 04-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Yea but an LR3 isnt' a real Disco, it's a LR but notta Disco, just my opinion. The body differences don't do it for me.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wondering if the mechanic did a pressure test on the block when he had it all apart. It may have had a slipped liner. Can't believe he said the temp gauge was an electrical problem. I hope he does the right thing and gets you a new engine, but more than likely he'll probably find one at a scrapper and tell you that he'll go thru it to make sure it's good. Keep us posted.

Eric

Old 04-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well the verdict is in. After having the head gaskets replaced, a full valve job, new thermostat, hoses, wires magnacore 8 mm, plugs and an oil change, my daughter got 5 minutes from the shop before it stated heating up. Fast forward one week. Truck slipped a liner. Still waiting to see what the shop is ready to do. He is talking about installing top hat liners. Not sure what makes more since, the top hat liners or a new block, or just tow it out to the Great Salt Lake and use it as an anchor. Too bad, the truck is in about as good a shape as any on the road, looks about like it did when it drove out of the dealership 10 years ago. Anybody have a decent source for a short block? The truck is worth $5000 and a remanufactured short block is $3500, part only. Go figure. Wow, what a week. Phil

Old 04-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
Truck slipped a liner.
And how exactly did they diagnose this? On newer motors, the liners can only slip a few thousandths of an inch.

Sounds more like they gorilla handed the head bolts back in and cracked the block.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hey Phil

Well the verdict is in. After having the head gaskets replaced, a full valve job, new thermostat, hoses, wires magnacore 8 mm, plugs and an oil change, my daughter got 5 minutes from the shop before it stated heating up. Fast forward one week. Truck slipped a liner. Still waiting to see what the shop is ready to do. He is talking about installing top hat liners. Not sure what makes more since, the top hat liners or a new block, or just tow it out to the Great Salt Lake and use it as an anchor. Too bad, the truck is in about as good a shape as any on the road, looks about like it did when it drove out of the dealership 10 years ago. Anybody have a decent source for a short block? The truck is worth $5000 and a remanufactured short block is $3500, part only. Go figure. Wow, what a week. Phil
Sorry to hear about your ordeal...My engine is still sitting in my garage for the past 8 months..yea, lazy i am as i just steal my wifes volvo... You can do liners at half the cost of reman block..La sleave will do for $1,600.00 for all 8.. Well thats the quote i got 8 months ago... My daughters...same age as yours...... 2001 just blew a right side head gasket...not a coolant one but a dry one ...sounds like a old western steam engine....tearing down tomorrow.... give them a cal there in california like yourself.....

Wish i was surfing..... All the best Chris

L.A.SLEEVE CO.- Producer Of Quality Cast Iron Cylinder Sleeves & Liners Since 1945

Old 04-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Angry

I talked to MAW here in San Diego today, they quoted me $1000 for all eight cylinders, about $80 per hole and another $25 for each of the sleeves. I am told that they used a camera to view the cylinders after doing a compression check. The mechanic was able to see the slipped liner with the camera. From what he said, it was a substantial slip. I am about 750 miles away so I am going on faith, hope and prayers! Maybe more info tomorrow. We sent our Land Cruiser up to Utah over the weekend and the kids are now driving that and my wife is driving my Land Rover. I thought that after a week she would grow to like it, no luck, she says she wants her Land Cruiser back. On well, it is only money...........^%&%#$#&&$#& Phil

2000 DII
2001 DII on the operating table with no pulse and no heartbeat, clear!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default $20.00?

Be carfull, $20.00 per sleeve sounds way to cheap.. They should run around $70-80.00 per sleeve. Either from here or england. MAke sure they are Ductile iron flanged liners.....My wife hate the rover also...any rover....

Old 04-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The mechanic was able to see the slipped liner with the camera. From what he said, it was a substantial slip.
Either they don't know what they are talking about or the shoulder that keeps them from slipping is also trashed. Either way sucks. Sorry to hear you are pot committed at what sounds like a crappy shop dressed up as someone reputable.