Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Unit finally ate a tape, Is there an oem solution with an AUX input?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 09:51 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Head Unit finally ate a tape, Is there an oem solution with an AUX input?

Much like the title says, my old school EC Slowhand cassette has been devoured by the head unit. I really am partial to an oem look. Anyone familiar with an auxiliary option? I had GB 4x4 RADIOS rebuild one for my RRC several years back but they seem to have all but disappeared or stop paying their phone bills. Input appreciated! (pun intended)

Old 02-19-2019, 10:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Grom Unit (look on ebay) is what I went with and I routed the aux cable to the cubby so I can plug in my phone there

Old 02-19-2019, 10:05 AM
Drifting

Awesome, thank you. I'll check it out

Old 02-19-2019, 10:12 AM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

there's a grom audio aux input adapter that plugs in where the cd player goes. you lose the ability to play cds of course.
https://gromaudio.com/store/aux1_ada...tereo-kit.html

you will also need the data cable that goes between the head unit and the grom unit
https://gromaudio.com/store/grom_acc...-installs.html

The following users liked this post:
ATLRVRS (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 10:23 AM
Drifting

So mine never had the CD changer option in it. Is that under the seat still or is it one of the cables behind the ash tray under the center console?

Old 02-19-2019, 10:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLRVRS
So mine never had the CD changer option in it. Is that under the seat still or is it one of the cables behind the ash tray under the center console?
You will need to pull the head unit out, there should be a receiver on the back of the head unit that the grom unit directly plug into.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:31 AM
Drifting

Ok, got it. Appreciate the guidance!

Old 02-19-2019, 10:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 365 Likes on 284 Posts

I use an FM transmitter that bluetooths to the phone and then broadcasts on an unused FM band. It works reasonably well in the DII but I find I have to change stations as I move into areas where someone is broadcasting on that band and that's pretty much a deal killer. I usually disconnect the antenna from the radio to eliminate this problem, which has worked flawlessly in my other cars however in the DII my radio stops receiving all FM when the antenna is disconnected. I know the highline radios have some external antenna amplification and there are actually 2 antenna inputs on the back of the radio, but I haven't fiddled with it enough to figure out a bulletproof solution. I've heard great things about the GROM stuff and that looks like a good solution. I may abandon the FM transmitter and go that route but I do like the bluetooth wireless bit, because additional wires in the console is not what I need, so this unit looks like it will accomplish that.

https://gromaudio.com/store/bt3_adap...interface.html

Old 02-19-2019, 10:53 AM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

or there's this version
https://gromaudio.com/store/usb_adap...apter-kit.html
to which you can also add a bluetooth adapter and 3.5mm aux port

Old 02-19-2019, 12:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

Disco Mike had the link to what turns out to be GB 4x4 Radios in his signature but if you're not having any luck contacting them that's irrelevant. The AUX port they installed in the factory head unit looked original.

But why do you want a AUX port? Like others, I've had a GROM Bluetooth unit connected to my factory radio for years. Works great and I love it. Why not just go with Bluetooth?

As FND said, you pull the radio out of the dash and plug the GROM cable right in where a CD changer would have been connected. There's room below and to the right of the radio where I stuffed the GROM box. No cutting, no splicing.

The only thing even a little tricky once you remove the radio is routing the microphone cable to wherever you want to mount the mic for making phone calls. I ran it under the dash, behind the A-pillar trim and across the top of the windshield and mounted it on the windshield near the interior rear view mirror.

The following users liked this post:
ATLRVRS (02-19-2019)

Quick Reply: Head Unit finally ate a tape, Is there an oem solution with an AUX input?