Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heading over to the UK, Should I pick up parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heading over to the UK, Should I pick up parts?

So, I'm heading over to the UK for a couple of weeks to spend Christmas with the in laws. I've heard from my brothers in law, that Rover Parts there are quite cheap , relative to the US. Assuming this is true, what types of parts would you stock up while there, which would fit in luggage on the way home? I've got a 2003 Disco with about 109K miles on it, with original CPS, so I'm thinking CPS is a no brainer, assuming there's no issue running a UK sourced on one a US vehicle. Thoughts?

I know this is a very open ended post, but wanted to throw it out there to get some ideas.

Thanks for the help and insight!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking I would crate up a TD-5 engine and ship it back to the states!

Originally Posted by ringerso
So, I'm heading over to the UK for a couple of weeks to spend Christmas with the in laws. I've heard from my brothers in law, that Rover Parts there are quite cheap , relative to the US. Assuming this is true, what types of parts would you stock up while there, which would fit in luggage on the way home? I've got a 2003 Disco with about 109K miles on it, with original CPS, so I'm thinking CPS is a no brainer, assuming there's no issue running a UK sourced on one a US vehicle. Thoughts?

I know this is a very open ended post, but wanted to throw it out there to get some ideas.

Thanks for the help and insight!
Cheap is relative when it comes to exchange rates...as of the date of this post, $1 buck only equals 0.6258 British Pound (i.e. the parts must be at least 38% cheaper to make it worth your while and I hope they are for your sake). Plus not to mention the bag fees airlines charge these days!

As far as the CPS, nope, no issue.

I would crate up a TD-5 engine and ship it back to the states!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love to crate up a TD-5...for that matter, I'd love to crate up a Defender 110...LOL! Seriously though, thanks for the CPS confirmation!

Definitely understand about the exchange rates-- Been fortunate to live overseas for quite a while...just never did it while owning an LR.

cheers,
rich

Old 11-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

You might check the prices on a MAF sensor and ignition packs.
I know MAF sensors are around $270 and ignition packs are about $100 each All Makes aftermarket brand. I just found these prices on www.atlanticbritish.com. Those would pack easily in your suitcase and would be nice to have on hand to troubleshoot a bad idle. You might check O2 sensors too If they are cheaper than $70USD after the exchange thats a deal.