Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tom Woods Drive Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tom Woods Drive Shaft

I just ordered a Tom Woods Greasable Front Driveshaft. Reasoning is I have 63k miles and a few front u joints going bad, and a long term investment is what I am hoping to make out of my auto so I am replacing everything in one shot.

Any advice on installation? I know I read there is something that must be done with a CDL. I have never installed a driveshaft and will need to know if I am to commonly grease the centering ball on the TW driveshaft.

I am also reading to my dismay that a lot of people have had heavy vibrations on their land rovers at higher speeds 60-85 miles per hour, and I primarily drive highway, anyone who reads a lot of these forums how common is this occurence from bad balancing on a tom woods drive shaft. I am hoping this does not happen.

2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD

Old 11-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Installation should be a breeze...pretty much just the opposite of pulling the old front drive shaft. As for greasing it, you should grease it every time you change the oil, and the centering ball definitely needs to be part of the greasing routine.

I don't know what you're saying about needing to do something the CDL. Your truck is a 2002, so unless you've replaced the transfer case you don't have a CDL.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Mudding

Just put one on my truck a couple of months ago. It was a easy to replace, took about an hour. Just make sure you use loctite (blue) on the screws and torque it to specs. For maintenance I second dcarr you should grease it every oil change.

I get the vibration at around 77 -80mph. It goes away over that and is good through all the lower speeds. I drive highway everyday and I don't find it as an issue if I stay under that speed. Its annoying when it starts but I probably shouldn't be driving that fast anyway. Going to take it to a driveline shop here to see if it is a balancing issue or defective.

If its defective, I am going to give Tom a call and see what he can do.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Overlanding
Default Tom woods drive shaft

Good news, I do not think my truck has a CDL, I misread another post. The change should take about 30 or so minutes.

I hope this will be balanced well the first time. I receive in about a week and a half. He said he sells two types of shafts, and I ordered the premium. He mentioned vibration is normal on the phone today, which worries me more about potential vibrations. I will lube every oil change, thanks for the advice.

Last edited by dustinvonholten; 11-19-2010 at 11:39 PM.