Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight bulbs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Headlight bulbs...

I want to get some better bulbs for my headlights. I've read that the Phillips Extreme Power bulbs are pretty good. Also, the Sylvania bulbs aren't bad, but have a tendency to burn out quicker.

For some reason, I have CARiD.com - Car Accessories & Parts saved in my favorites list... so I was going through it and found these head light bulbs: PUTCOŽ - Land Rover Discovery 1994-2002 High and Low Beam Headlight Replacement Bulbs Anybody used them? I like the Nitro Blue bulb, but looks like they are out of stock at the moment (yes, I know it's rated for "off road" use only). The Mirror White bulb would be the next option, as it's the brightest street legal bulb they offer.

What do you guys think?

Old 05-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

SilverStar Ultra for the headlights, and Hella Optilux Extreme XY Yellow for the fog lights.

The SilverStar's are much brighter, and have a wider beam pattern that a standard bulb, but they tend to burn out early. Depends if you're ok with that tradeoff. If not, Slyvania's Xtravision is the next best.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Convert them to hid lights they are way brighter and almost as cheap as Phillips bulbs. I converted my versa to hid and they are sweet
Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with Premium Ballasts - 9006 (HB4) - 6000k - 2 Year Warranty
Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with Premium Ballasts - 9006 (HB4) - 6000k - 2 Year Warranty : Amazon.com : Automotive Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with Premium Ballasts - 9006 (HB4) - 6000k - 2 Year Warranty : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Old 05-10-2013, 05:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Don't do an HID retrofit into housings that weren't designed for HID bulbs. The excessive glare will **** off everyone else on the road, and it's illegal.

If you really want to do HID's, and have an 03-04, retrofit proper HID optics in place of your stock reflectors in the housing.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:22 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Racer X
Don't do an HID retrofit into housings that weren't designed for HID bulbs. The excessive glare will **** off everyone else on the road, and it's illegal.

If you really want to do HID's, and have an 03-04, retrofit proper HID optics in place of your stock reflectors in the housing.
True that. Also the higher Kelvin you go the brighter and more blue/purple you get. Check state laws cause it is illegal but only if your state has a law against it. Where I live if you have headlights your good. Lol 4000k are just a bright white not blinding however when you get into a higher k you risk blinding people plus you can burn your bulb housing right out your headlight assembly.

You could always go with a4000 xenon bulb to give that bright white look.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by jhill15
True that. Also the higher Kelvin you go the brighter and more blue/purple you get. Check state laws cause it is illegal but only if your state has a law against it. Where I live if you have headlights your good. Lol 4000k are just a bright white not blinding however when you get into a higher k you risk blinding people plus you can burn your bulb housing right out your headlight assembly.

You could always go with a4000 xenon bulb to give that bright white look.
Actually, if you live in a state or locality where there aren't any laws specifically addressing vehicle lighting, then you default to the federal standards defined in FMVSS 108. The resultant light pattern of an HID bulb in an incandescent housing does not conform to FMVSS 108, and are therefore illegal, which is why using HID specific optics or reflectors is necessary if you're looking to do a retrofit.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Racer X
Actually, if you live in a state or locality where there aren't any laws specifically addressing vehicle lighting, then you default to the federal standards defined in FMVSS 108. The resultant light pattern of an HID bulb in an incandescent housing does not conform to FMVSS 108, and are therefore illegal, which is why using HID specific optics or reflectors is necessary if you're looking to do a retrofit.
What if they are dot approved? Do they still have to be in an aftermarket housing?

Old 05-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Yes. They have to be in a housing designed for HID lamps.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Agreed with Racer. Also I'd like to mention it's near useless to do an HID conversion without using an HID housing as the output spread could possibly make it harder to see certain objects.

Quick Reply: Headlight bulbs...