Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight ON delay during cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight ON delay during cold weather

Boy owning two Disco's sure keeps me busy with asking questions.

My 03 Disc during cold weather has up to a minute delay from the time you switch the lights on until the beams go on.

I'm not able to see find a Relay in the circuit on Rave or I'm missing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If it happens on either high or low settings, then I would suspect the switch is failing.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Winching

How would the cold weather effect a mechanical contact type switch in the cold but not warm weather would you say?

Old 12-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0304Disco
How would the cold weather effect a mechanical contact type switch in the cold but not warm weather would you say?
Metal and most other materials contract (shrink) in cold and expand in heat (that's how a thermostat in your cooling system works) By it getting cold, the already bad contact now makes even worse contact. It is probably arcing and then making contact, as the arcing creates heat. I would download the rave manual, find the location of the relay (under the drives side knee guard) and replace it or pull it and test for voltage on the socket. I would suspect the relay is going bad. That is the most likely culprit. A relay, most times has four terminals. there is a ground, a signal wire, a power supply and a wire going to the accessory being used. The solenoid in the relay is connected to the ground and signal wire. the other two wires (the +12 volts, and the wire running to the accessory being used) are connected by a contact connected when the solenoid is activated. Terminals 30 and 87 are the two being connected by the relay. For example, say you had a bad fuel pump relay and couldn't get home. You could take a jumper wire and connect terminals 30 and 87 together to complete the circuit and activate the fuel pump. Your signal wire sends a signal for the relay to close which brings the two contacts (connected to 30 and 87) together completing the circuit. If it is a standard relay you can pick one up at an auto parts store. If it has a resistor built in you will have to get it for your specific application. Judging by the fact that there is a delay in the lights coming on I would bet that the headlight relay has some sort of resistor and that the resistor itself is failing. This would explain the delay. I would test voltage at 30 and 87. I am not sure which one is constant 12v but you can figure that out because it will have voltage without having the headlight switch turned on. Then test the signal wire. This is the wire coming from the turn signal switch to the relay. The relay should have a diagram on it , usually on the bottom, showing the schematic and identifying the terminals. The ground will have look like a christmas tree. That will eliminate all the other terminals and then you will have your signal wire. Or you can find it in Rave. Next, when it is cold, connect your volt meter and cjeck to see if there is a delay between when you turn on the switch and when you see voltage at the relay plug. If there is no delay you have found your problem, the relay. If there is a delay it would be the light switch itself. I am willing to bet a 6 pack that it is the relay that has gone bad. Sorry so long, and I hope I am not confusing you. I am ADHD and tend to over explain even the simplest things. 30 and 87 are the two wires that are connected when the relay clicks. the signal wire and ground are what activate the relay switch, 30 and 87 are the ones connected when the relay is activated.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Winching

Nice theory!! Looking at schamatic the circuit doesn't have a relay so we could only be talking about a mechanic switch which your contraction and expantion makes theoretic sense. It must be the switch on the column. THX

Old 12-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0304Disco
Nice theory!! Looking at schamatic the circuit doesn't have a relay so we could only be talking about a mechanic switch which your contraction and expantion makes theoretic sense. It must be the switch on the column. THX
I'm certain there is a relay, as every car I have worked on has one, even my older 85 BMW 745i has one. Listen for a click when the lights come on. I am sure I hear it when I turn my lights on. I'll have to see.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:24 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is doing the exact same thing, except its only for a couple of seconds.