Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight and foglight recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight and foglight recommendations?

Looking for a brigther, whiter alternative to factory replacements. I'm a novice at the replacement light game. Can someone recommend an effective option?

Thanks.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Other than going to HIDs, these are probably the brightest you can get.

Amazon.com: Sylvania 9003/HB2/H4 SZ SilverStar zXe High Performance Halogen Headlight Bulb (Low/High Beam), (Pack of 2): Automotive Amazon.com: Sylvania 9003/HB2/H4 SZ SilverStar zXe High Performance Halogen Headlight Bulb (Low/High Beam), (Pack of 2): Automotive

I just put a set on my other car, and they are noticeably brighter than stock. However, there is a tradeoff as many will tell you, these do not last long. (Sylvania says they should last about a year). And they are expensive.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Rock Crawling

This may be a silly question, but for the 03/04 discos, is the smaller inset light for a separate high beam bulb? When I bought the truck, it was missing those bulbs, so the high beams don't work. If that's the case, I assume I would get a different bulb than the ones linked by James b/c I wouldn't want/need high and low beam capabilities in a single bulb. Right?

Old 11-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Rock Crawling

And while we're on the subject, is there a recommended foglight replacement? Previous owner installed some really bad LED bulb's that you can't even tell are on when the headlights are on.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan H
This may be a silly question, but for the 03/04 discos, is the smaller inset light for a separate high beam bulb? When I bought the truck, it was missing those bulbs, so the high beams don't work. If that's the case, I assume I would get a different bulb than the ones linked by James b/c I wouldn't want/need high and low beam capabilities in a single bulb. Right?
Ya that's correct. I have a 2000 so those are the bulbs for my truck. You can look up the bulb you need on sylvanias website.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I have to admit, with the stock lighting on my 2003, I have no need to upgrade the bulbs. It's QUITE bright at night, especially when the high beams are kicked on.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

HID's are illegal retrofitted to Disco's.
Whiter (i.e. dyalight) isn't necessarily better for seeing at night.
I suggest reading the tech/ Lighting FAQ sections at Daniel Stern Lighting.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Rock Crawling

I don't plan on switching to HIDs. I just need replacement high bulbs since mine are missing and new fog lights bc the LEDs the PO installed are a waste of lumens. So my primary intent is good lighting, with just a touch more white to modernize the appearance just a bit.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

For the low and high beams, Silverstar Ultra's offer a brighter output, without the blue tint that results in reduced inclement weather visibility. The Silverstar zXe's are awful in the rain and fog.

For the fog lights, Hella Optilux XY series. They're about as close to Selective Yellow as you can get nowadays, and that's the best color to run for a fog light being used in rain or heavy snow to give you some contrast on the ground.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
For the low and high beams, Silverstar Ultra's offer a brighter output, without the blue tint that results in reduced inclement weather visibility. The Silverstar zXe's are awful in the rain and fog.

For the fog lights, Hella Optilux XY series. They're about as close to Selective Yellow as you can get nowadays, and that's the best color to run for a fog light being used in rain or heavy snow to give you some contrast on the ground.
What's he said! Put them in my 00 and huge difference. I have the before/after pic somewhere I have to find. Nice color temp on the light, much better distance and much better side lighting too.

Quick Reply: Headlight and foglight recommendations?