Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight washer not working.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Headlight washer not working.

And still tracking down things that don't work on the new truck...

The headlight washers don't seem to be working. The #4 fuse was blown, but I've replaced it and it hasn't blown again (yet).
Kind of hoping it's just frozen (no idea what fluids have been in it) and that with the new fuse and some warm weather it will work it's self out.
Still I'd like to get a look at the pump and see if it's seized, see if it's getting power, that kind of thing. But so far I just can't lay eyeballs on it, seems to be truly buried under all that plastic… is there an easy way to access it?

Sucks to try and get at things in winter in Toronto without a garage... may have to wait till spring. But I'm open to suggestions!

N.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

I think the light washer fluid only comes on every third time you spray your windshield so try that

Old 01-05-2013, 12:08 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
And still tracking down things that don't work on the new truck...

The headlight washers don't seem to be working. The #4 fuse was blown, but I've replaced it and it hasn't blown again (yet).
Kind of hoping it's just frozen (no idea what fluids have been in it) and that with the new fuse and some warm weather it will work it's self out.
Still I'd like to get a look at the pump and see if it's seized, see if it's getting power, that kind of thing. But so far I just can't lay eyeballs on it, seems to be truly buried under all that plastic… is there an easy way to access it?

Sucks to try and get at things in winter in Toronto without a garage... may have to wait till spring. But I'm open to suggestions!

N.
There are 3 washer pumps attached to the reservoir. the two on the back of the tank are for the front and rear glass, the headlight washer pump is on the front of the tank, the easiest way to access it is to pull the front bumper cover off. The headlight washer only activates if the headlights are on and only once when the windshield washers are activated, after the first activation, then only every third headlight wash (as previously stated), the headlight pump only runs for .5 second. If it hasn't been used in a long time, sometimes it will take multiple activations to fill up the hoses to the headlight nozzles (depending on the washer fluid, it evaporates over time) Or you may be right and it's frozen, if that's the case you'll find all your leaks when it warms up. It sounds like you don't have a repair manual, you can download the factory RAVE manual here:http://www.landroverresource.com/

Old 01-05-2013, 12:37 AM
Winching

Thanks guys. I don't think I realized it only happened with the lights on, but makes sense now you say it. So my check of it probably didn't activate it. Willing to bet the fuse is blown again now that it has been used with the lights on (I'll check tomorrow).

Yes, I found it all in the rave (but thanks for the heads up anyway), was really hoping it wouldn't entail removing the bumper cover to just get a look at.
Maybe it will work it's self out... or in the spring…
Not mission critical I suppose.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
I think the light washer fluid only comes on every third time you spray your windshield so try that
I thought mine didn't work as well until I googled it and you are right it is every third time you use the washers "with the lights on" and that is key ...the lights have to be on or they wont work.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Winching

Oh yeah. Blows the fuse every time. Bumper off in the spring then.
Thanks Guys!