Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JiffyLube Service on my Disco?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool JiffyLube Service on my Disco?

Alright so as of last week I'm hired at a local JiffyLube... the money is poor BUT its the only way I can get my foot in the door in the automechanics business (soon JiffyLube will be doing full brake jobs to) and they offer ASE and other certifications so....
One of the benefits is FREE everything: Oil and Filter change, Recharge A/C, Replace air filter, Replaces old radiator fluid, replace differential fluid, Battery cleaning, clean fuel system, and combustion chamber and replace fuel filter, tire rotation, transmission fluid replacement etc
Should I take advantage of this opportunity and have them do all these things? I do NOT feel very comfortable about the idea but money is very very tight right now so I would not be able to perform all these tasks for months otherwise... I would be there to watch over everything and make sure they are doing it right.

What do you guys think? The plan would be to get everything done now, then in a month or two replace their pathetic Pensoil with Shell Rotella oil along with new oil pan hasket, hardware and drain plug washer/nut. I just like the idea of getting all those other service items on Mikes list completed - FOR FREE!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I see absolutely no problem with it, just make sure you use diesel oil in the engine and Dexron III in the transmission and NOT Dex-Cool in the cooling system.
The only problem with those places is that when you are a customer they dont care about you or your car, they just want to get you in and out as quick as possible so they can go out back and smoke.
The fluids they use are fine, the oil filters are crap but they will work.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:39 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spike555
I see absolutely no problem with it, just make sure you use diesel oil in the engine and Dexron III in the transmission and NOT Dex-Cool in the cooling system.
The only problem with those places is that when you are a customer they dont care about you or your car, they just want to get you in and out as quick as possible so they can go out back and smoke.
The fluids they use are fine, the oil filters are crap but they will work.
Just started working there so Im not sure what oils they use for tranny, diffs, and colling system. I THINK they use something called Dex for the gearbox though. And so far the managers and staff really like my work ethic so I dont think I will have any problems with them being careless.

Thanks for the input Spike.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd do the coolant flush myself so you can ensure it's properly bled. I wouldn't feel comfortable with them touching the fuel filter if you had one (DII's dont have those).

It depends on the people working there you know? Ive come across people that really do not know what they are doing and sometime you'll meet those who have a lot of experience. You can do an oil change yourself for pretty cheap. Rotella Shell's like 12 bucks. But Ive run penzoil 20-50 before with no problems. Make sure they are not doing a full flush on your transmission. Everything else sounds pretty good to me.

Last time I tried to pay for an oil change was at wally world and they were too afraid to unscrew the drain plug. (True story)

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 01-04-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Just started working there so Im not sure what oils they use for tranny, diffs, and colling system. I THINK they use something called Dex for the gearbox though. And so far the managers and staff really like my work ethic so I dont think I will have any problems with them being careless.

Thanks for the input Spike.
They use name brand fluids, I think they are a Valvoline franchise so unless you ask for something different Valvoline is the brand they are going to put into your truck, that is a good brand.
It might be Pennzoil, or Castrol, just depends.
They all make a diesel oil otherwise just use a 10w-40, they all make that too.
They are going to have 80w-90 for the diffs and t-case, thats what came in it from the factory.
Just do NOT let them put ATF in the transfer case, all other 4x4's use ATF in the t-case, not Rovers, they use gear oil.
Most likely you will be the one doing the work in your "free" time.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:32 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spike555
They use name brand fluids, I think they are a Valvoline franchise so unless you ask for something different Valvoline is the brand they are going to put into your truck, that is a good brand.
It might be Pennzoil, or Castrol, just depends.
They all make a diesel oil otherwise just use a 10w-40, they all make that too.
They are going to have 80w-90 for the diffs and t-case, thats what came in it from the factory.
Just do NOT let them put ATF in the transfer case, all other 4x4's use ATF in the t-case, not Rovers, they use gear oil.
Most likely you will be the one doing the work in your "free" time.
I believe Pennzoil is their main product althouth Shell now owns Jiffylube..... kinda confusing. I dont think they touch the trasnfer case, just the transmission and diffs but Ill be sure to run that by them regarding the gear oil. Now why should they NOT completely flush out the transmission? So I should ask for diesel oil? and if they dont have it then ask for 10w-40?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 PM
TReK

Doing some research online I think Jiffy Lube carries Rotella T 15w-40, not sure if that qualifies as a Diesel oil but will it suffice for my Disco Spike? and also would 15w-40 Rotella be alright up here in New Hampshire diring these cold winter months? Last week it dropped below zero for afew days...

Last edited by TRIARII; 01-04-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just one quick question. Why use Diesel oil in a petrol motor?

Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by DiscoPhipps78
Just one quick question. Why use Diesel oil in a petrol motor?
Another long debate lol.
Ask Spike for all the detailed info, but I believe Diesel oil has superior detergent properties and does a better job cleaning our V8 Petrol engines. A number of people on this forum also have switched over to diesel in recent years.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Diesel formulated oil is made from diesel fuel scraped off the bottom of tires that have millions of highway miles....

NO...

Diesel rate oils are formulated to have extra cleaning features because diesel engines produce more blow by and soot. So they do a great job cleaning sludge from a ROver engine (which is an early 60's design at heart), and they keep crud in suspension so your jumbo oil filter can trap it.

Quick Reply: JiffyLube Service on my Disco?