Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HeadLiner dropping

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HeadLiner dropping

Is the actuall headliner not the superficial fabrik, suppose to be glued to the roof or its just held in place by trims and screws?
Mine is dropping around the front sunroof, it has a plastic trim, which is not able to hols it in place anymore, Ipulled the trim and thought I will reverse it, but it goes only one way, back sunroof is fine and the trim on back sunroof is covered in fabrik and not plastic only as in the front. I am not sure if a new trim will keep this up, could I just use liquid nails to make it stuck to the metal roof? or any other suggestions?

Old 03-08-2012, 05:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default yep..

have it fixed right $275.00

Old 03-08-2012, 05:48 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

if the fiberglass is drooping then it must be soaking wet, which makes me think you have a leaking sunroof. i would pull the headliner out, clean the drains on the sunroofs re-seal them. then you can see if the headliner is repairable with fiberglass or not. you can always get one froma pick and pull and either re-cover it or just pull the fabric and foam off and paint it.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Three Wheeling

Dry it out and a fiberglass repair is very cheap and easy to do. I have mine off right now, one of my back corners is broken from previous removal.

DIY replacement will run you around $75 for repairs, fabric material and glue. You could do it in an afternoon. These take 60" wide headliner material do not use anything less than that as you will run out of material in the area near the back door windows. you can measure to be sure, but usually ask for 3 yards of material @ no more than $10/yd.

You need three cans of good fabric material spray (glue pot is better)

Removal:
Removal of the old material should take about 2 hours with a wire brush.

Installation:
Start in the middle draw a line on both the headliner and under side of the material

Spray the shell and the material about 1 foot width at a time working along the center towards the outside. wait a few minutes before you start to lay the material down.
*Be very carefull once it touches its set.

Pull with one hand lightly stretching the material press the material into place with the other. Make sure you get in all the little nooks and depressions. GO SLOW, this is an art if you have ever seen it done.

Wrap the material about an inch around all the edges.

So good luck!

Old 03-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by vandev
have it fixed right $275.00
Is this the cost of a new headliner?

Old 03-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
if the fiberglass is drooping then it must be soaking wet, which makes me think you have a leaking sunroof. i would pull the headliner out, clean the drains on the sunroofs re-seal them. then you can see if the headliner is repairable with fiberglass or not. you can always get one froma pick and pull and either re-cover it or just pull the fabric and foam off and paint it.
I noted once some water next to the driver door, I was not sure if it came from the door or sunroof, but since I parked it outside in rain, drove it in rain and checked the same place and no water, but I was suspecting that my sunroof might be leaking. Is it possible that the sunroof is leaking and I don't see any water, but enough to damage the headliner? I have the trim off and it did rain last night so will look close again today to see if there is any water. That particular sunroof has been replaced around 14months ago, because the previous owner left it open and while exiting the garage, apparently it was cought in and the glass broke.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 4x4ron
Dry it out and a fiberglass repair is very cheap and easy to do. I have mine off right now, one of my back corners is broken from previous removal.

DIY replacement will run you around $75 for repairs, fabric material and glue. You could do it in an afternoon. These take 60" wide headliner material do not use anything less than that as you will run out of material in the area near the back door windows. you can measure to be sure, but usually ask for 3 yards of material @ no more than $10/yd.

You need three cans of good fabric material spray (glue pot is better)

Removal:
Removal of the old material should take about 2 hours with a wire brush.

Installation:
Start in the middle draw a line on both the headliner and under side of the material

Spray the shell and the material about 1 foot width at a time working along the center towards the outside. wait a few minutes before you start to lay the material down.
*Be very carefull once it touches its set.

Pull with one hand lightly stretching the material press the material into place with the other. Make sure you get in all the little nooks and depressions. GO SLOW, this is an art if you have ever seen it done.

Wrap the material about an inch around all the edges.

So good luck!
it isn't really wet or at least no moisture that I can feel and the fabric is not really droping it is the headliner it self and only around the front sunroof

Old 03-08-2012, 03:22 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look closely for water stains. My leak seems to come and go. It'll rain for weeks, and stay bone dry in the cab. A couple weeks later it will sprinkle for a half an our and I'll take a corner and get rain water dripping down my left shoulder.

---> On a side note, how easy is the foam/fabric to remove if the headliner is NOT sagging? Mine isn't sagging at all strangely, but is stained in certain areas from water ingress, dirty from the PO, and I need to get at the sunroof drains anyways, so if I'm going to take the time to pull it out, I want to go all in and repaint it.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Look closely for water stains. My leak seems to come and go. It'll rain for weeks, and stay bone dry in the cab. A couple weeks later it will sprinkle for a half an our and I'll take a corner and get rain water dripping down my left shoulder.

---> On a side note, how easy is the foam/fabric to remove if the headliner is NOT sagging? Mine isn't sagging at all strangely, but is stained in certain areas from water ingress, dirty from the PO, and I need to get at the sunroof drains anyways, so if I'm going to take the time to pull it out, I want to go all in and repaint it.
for the OP: yes your headliner can be absorbing the water. maybe it's not a ton of water that is leaking thru the sunroof. just have to remove it and check things out.

it pulls off very easily. chances are the foam is deteriorated already but just hasn't let the fabric go completely.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Three Wheeling

Like I said once you get it out it's a good 2 hours to get it cleaned off. A wire brush will do the trick!

Quick Reply: HeadLiner dropping