Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads are off my 2001 D2. Local machine shop says he only does milling & valve job

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Heads are off my 2001 D2. Local machine shop says he only does milling & valve job

Got my heads off. Called a local machine shop He said that he only does complete valve jobs and generally with new Bronze valve guides and Milling for $440. (Says he has done dozens of Land Rover heads for the local Land Rover dealer )

He also said that most likely, if I had coolant in the middle cylinders, (Which I did on the driver's side) that I may have a slipped liner and that the milling/valve job wont fix the problem.

This truck has been sitting for many months until I could justify the $200 for the Gaskets and head bolts from Will Tillery,.....Bought the parts from Will and Dont want to spend another $4-500 now only to find out the block is junk.

Can anyone advise me on What my options are from here?

Thanks in advance for your time and helpful comments.

BC

Old 05-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone looked at the block for you? Was it overheated and was it making any unusual sounds when it last ran? You could have it pressure tested if you're concerned that it has a slipped liner.

In the interim, can you post a picture(s) of the head and the block showing the cylinders in question? If the liner is slipped, you can sometimes see it or see where it was striking the head/head gaskets...

Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default might as well bend over...

Call your local machine shop back and tell them you dont hold on to your ankels anymore...$440.00 thats criminal.... The top machine shop in South florida for LR heads is a third less than that and the one i use which does more heads than anyone in florida is way less than half of that... Never make the mistake of telling them its from a LR...You say that dirty word and all they see is dollar signs and think you are a rich dumb ***... Tell them its from a 215 buick or better yet give them the heads and valve seals and ask them when you can pick them up... They dont need to ask where they came from...

Chris

Old 05-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
Call your local machine shop back and tell them you dont hold on to your ankels anymore...$440.00 thats criminal.... The top machine shop in South florida for LR heads is a third less than that and the one i use which does more heads than anyone in florida is way less than half of that... Never make the mistake of telling them its from a LR...You say that dirty word and all they see is dollar signs and think you are a rich dumb ***... Tell them its from a 215 buick or better yet give them the heads and valve seals and ask them when you can pick them up... They dont need to ask where they came from...

Chris
What he said.
Call the guy back and tell him you will take the heads elsewhere, I bet he lowers his price right there.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Crazy..

Originally Posted by Spike555
What he said.
Call the guy back and tell him you will take the heads elsewhere, I bet he lowers his price right there.
Hey Spike...Are people just out of there minds these days or what... You think they think these are from a Enzo ferrerri or something...... "NOT" they are from a V8 that is a F$cking relic.....

You can tell by my tone that i have been working on one of my LR's today hah... LOL..

Not to change the subject or poke a hot iron ... but how is that bumper comming Spike? Email me bro....