Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heads are off - now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default heads are off - now what?

I got the heads off last night. Both head gaskets were leaking at the typical outside coolant jacket. All cylinders "looked" good visually and still have the factory cross hatch marks on the walls so I hope I am good there?

One question - do I need to remove the oil pump? How do I inspect it?

Here is a list of what i've ordered so far. Please let me know what else I should order. I am basically out of money so I'm not sure I can swing anything else and hoping what i've ordered will be good!
  • Heads cleaned, milled, inspected, and valve job - $175
  • complete head gasket top end kit w/head bolts from BA - $250
  • thermostat with soft spring - $49
  • Bosch +4 model 4188 from Summit - $39
Ordering the below parts this weekend - please let me know if I can get them cheaper elsewhere and if there is any other part I absolutely need?
  • Radiator hose kit from BA - $250
  • serpentine belt - $27
  • water pump B of Utah - $145
  • STI 8mm wire set from B of Utah - $80
So total cash spent = 1015

I will of course be draining/flushing/changing the oil and the antifreeze thats left.

Here are some pics ... let me know if there is anything obvious from a visual internet review . I've never done this before so any constructive input would be much appreciated.

rocker's looked pretty clean to me??

Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Switch and go green for coolant, add a bottle of Water Wetter, Purple Ice or Super Cool to the coolant system.
How many miles on the engine will determine the need for a chain and or oil pump, if at 100,000 to 120,000, I would replace them both especially since you are getting a new water pump.
Buy some head bolt threads lubricant for a better torquing of the heads.

By the way, before you buy the radiator from AB, find out where it is made, I just got one from British Parts of Utah and to my surprise, for $289 it came from Scotland, not China or the US.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Switch and go green for coolant, add a bottle of Water Wetter, Purple Ice or Super Cool to the coolant system.
How many miles on the engine will determine the need for a chain and or oil pump, if at 100,000 to 120,000, I would replace them both especially since you are getting a new water pump.
Buy some head bolt threads lubricant for a better torquing of the heads.

By the way, before you buy the radiator from AB, find out where it is made, I just got one from British Parts of Utah and to my surprise, for $289 it came from Scotland, not China or the US.
Miles are at 129,000.

You are a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate all your input on my recent posts!! I will definitely be going green!

I cant afford an entire oil pump at this point....prices appear to hover around $850 and there is no way I can afford it. Can I just order the oil pump repair kit at $110 or do I need an entire oil pump?? I might be able to swing the $110 for a rebuild kit but not an entire pump

Regarding the timing chain....looks like the entire kit will be another $119 from BA. Is this a good kit?

Old 09-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Sure, as long as the inside of the front cover is not torn up and it shouldn't be, the oil pump repair kit is all you need.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That $850 is for the entire front cover. You don't need that unless your current one is destroyed. Just get the oil pump gear and timing chain...

Old 09-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I took down a lot of information on the oil pump and timing chain (among other things) in my thread "Doing a Major 100k service on my disco". Most of the information on the oil pump and timing chain are on page 6. Click the link above to go strait to page 6. I hope this helps.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Drifting

Update to my parts ordered:

complete head gasket top end kit w/head bolts from BA - $250
thermostat with soft spring - $49
Bosch +4 model 4188 from Summit - $39
Radiator hose kit from BA - $238
serpentine belt - $27
water pump BA -$145
STI 8mm wire set from B of Utah - $80
Timing chain kit - $110
Oil pump gear kit - $90
Head work - $120

So total cash spent so far = $1148

Ouch!!!! Am I missing anything at this point?

Old 10-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are missing some of your money for sure.
I ordered a kit awhile back and it did not include the 2 intake/throttle body gaskets. May want to check that so no delays.
I just did my first HG job this year on the Disco2, and it turned out well even with all the BS I ran into. Found a wrench under the valley pan, had 3 bolt holes strip out, guy I bought the HG kit from sent 2 sets of short bolts, delay delay delay.

The truck was new to me, so I went the bargin basement price route because I was worried there would/could be other issues. I got $468 into my HG job, including fluids, plugs, wires, larger bolts and tap, o2 sensor and seafoams. Did not even have the heads done. Motor runs great now, and sounds great. With my cheapness, see if I can say that a year from now.

But my wish list looked very similar to your list above, good job!
And good luck.
Be careful torquing the heads, not hard to jack yourself up.
The second 90* is a workout. I was scared to death something was gonna give cranking on a bolt that hard.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:48 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Now you need to clean the deck and pistons off and post pictures of a clean deck.

That takes a few hours...

Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jfall
Now you need to clean the deck and pistons off and post pictures of a clean deck.

That takes a few hours...
I was just getting ready to post a question about this....how would I go about this?

thanks

Quick Reply: heads are off - now what?