Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing a Major 100k service on my 01 Disco this month

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I really had good luck with the Plus 4's over nearly a 90,000 mile run, just trying something different now.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:51 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noted.

How many miles do you have on the E3's so far?

I am assuming that since you just came from a 90k stint on +4's that your improved torque and fuel economy statement is in comparison to +4's and not conventional plugs.

The reviews of the E3's online are very mixed.
Half are 5star reviews are from people raving that they got improved power and fuel economy.
The other half are 1star review complaining either that 1 or more plugs crapped out in a short period, mostly between 6hrs and 10k miles, or that the plugs made their cars run rough or misfire.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Administrator

When I did head gaskets at 90K or so, I installed the Fusions to give them a try, my old Plus 4's were actually still good.
I have been reading about the E3's for quite a while so I pulled the Fusions, which I was not impressed with and installed the E3's.
I have only had them in for around 6 months, I also have some local friends who have installed them with a lot more mileage on theirs.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:55 PM
4th Gear

Thanks, I'm going to order the E3's and hope for the best.

It seems that maybe they just have poor quality control at the factory. If you get a good batch, they're great. If you get a bum batch, they fail pretty quickly.

I'll let you know how it goes. Changing wires to Magnacore 8mm at same time so will be hard to really quantify improvement due to plugs alone.

Going from (original?) Lucas wires and Champion plugs @97k so i'll probably notice a big difference whatever I do, even if I just replaced mine with new Champions and Lucas wires.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Administrator

E3 offers a 5 year, 1000,000 mile warranty, you can't get hurt.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just read this thread (Primarily to inform me about the oil pump) and came across your post where you had an easy start-up with no problems. I just thought I'd tell you congratulations and I hope you truck treats you as well as you treat it. You devoted a significant amount of time to documenting and helping others, for that we all thank you.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jared9220
Glad to help out. I have been driving the Disco every day since the rebuild and I have put almost 20,000 miles on it without any more major issues. If you have any questions I would be happy to try and answer them for you.
Oh don't say that!

But seriously, if you want to give me your number I'd love to talk about this ordeal. haha

Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

Would you mind putting together the final parts list you used? Saw it earlier on in your post, but wondering what you finally ended up using.

Looking at a truck right now that will need this job done to it day one.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:57 PM
5th Gear
Thumbs up Cheaper in California

Did the head gaskets on my D2 following the Rave and this post. Truck running smooth, the loud tick from before is gone( maybe will come back when the weather reaches 90 degrees in California). I read that some shops quoted you above $400, the shop here did it for $180, maybe is cheap here, there like 3 machine shops on the same block. Not sure if the head gasket job fix the tick but as of now I cannt heard it. Using Mobil 1- 301 for oil filter and Rotella., Bosch Platinum plus 4s, STI 8mm plug wires, and peak coolant. I didnt mess with the oil pump or water pump. I think it costed me around $650, including new sump gasket and front seal.

Julian

Old 03-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Overlanding

I know I am bringing up an old thread but It is one that has helped me alot. THanks for making it.

For those who have done this I have a question.
I have torn down to the heads and all I have to do now is take off the head bolts. The first bolt to take off is the bottom bolt closest to the fire wall.
How did you guys get to that bolt. I can just barely get a socket on it but can don't really have to room to move it let alone use the torque needed to get it loose.
Any tips you might have would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks
Cliff
99 Disco 2

Quick Reply: Doing a Major 100k service on my 01 Disco this month