Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads up for parts from ebay seller "ky_scrap1"

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by beninwonderland
Hey,

Alls well that ends well, ky_scrap1 responded offering shipping me a replacement trans with a return label for the first. Good business there. I am glad to see guys vouch for the supplier, it made it easier to go ahead and take a replacement instead of head hunting for another.

Thanks again for the information not just in this thread but the entire forum.
Glad to hear it all worked out. This seller sounds like a solid reputable merchant.

I suggest editing the title of this thread since, it ended fairly. Sounds like this guy has a good rep, let's keep it that way

Old 01-28-2014, 08:07 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I hope he's reputable

Just ordered 4 diffs and 10 A/C brackets

Old 01-28-2014, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

^^^ he was best price on diffs, that I found..

Old 01-28-2014, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I hope he's reputable Just ordered 4 diffs and 10 A/C brackets
What are you doing with 10 A/C brackets?!

Old 01-28-2014, 08:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
^^^ he was best price on diffs, that I found..
$70 shipped, can't beat that regularly!

Originally Posted by jafir
What are you doing with 10 A/C brackets?!
Melting them down and building a cast 4 link setup

But for real, they're NLA and we need them for our NAS A/C kits.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty part from ky_scrap1

I ordered a clock spring for my LR3, listed on eBay by ky_scrap1, and described as being "in great shape... all wire connections are clean and bright". The connections had been damaged, apparently by careless removal from the original vehicle. This became apparent when my mechanic was fitting the clock spring. He had to re-terminate it in order to fit it. Naturally, he charged me for his labor time.

I requested a partial refund, but ky_scrap1 refused this (through eBay customer services) because 'the part was no longer in the condition it had been in when I received it' - i.e. damaged! So my advice would be to only buy from ky_scrap1 if you don't need the part in a hurrry. You should leave time to check it, return it and argue about the quality, because if you do what you need to do to get the part (and your car) working, you risk being out of pocket.

This transaction has shaken my faith in eBay for used car parts, too. eBay customer services removed my negative feedback - polite, measured, factual, but negative - because customer services agreed I had altered the part and that it now worked. That's thanks to my mechanic, and no thanks to eBay or ky_scrap1.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

In my experience as an eBay seller, eBay will refund the money to you regardless of what the seller states and then they will go after the seller.

Just to be clear, I have never had one go that far, but I have had at least two sales where that was going to be the outcome if I had not relented.

Both were sales of TiVos with lifetime service that not only worked when they were sold but passed the hard drive tests. But if you read on you will see that the hard drives were not the problem.

The first one went to a guy in Canada who, I expect, couldn't get programming information from TiVo for his market allowing it to work. That, or it worked fine and he was just an out and out fraudster. In any case it wasn't valuable enough at that point to bother having him ship it back to me.

The second was to a woman in Florida but I am convinced was technically incompetent to understand how to get the TiVo to work with her cable box.

But back to your clock spring. Don't give up; continue to press the matter with eBay.

Whether or not you get your money back your experience with that seller is worth sharing. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:18 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

For what it's worth, as a frequent buyer and seller of used car parts on eBay, I understand both sides. I've bought several parts from the seller mentioned here, and one of them came slightly dinged up. The fact is, the part was dirt cheap and still had the components I needed intact, so I wasn't going to bitch about some damage on a piece that would get tossed in the bin anyway.

Fault_Code_Factory, I have to say that you(or your mechanic) made the choice to modify the part instead of contacting the seller and requesting a refund immediately. If I was the seller, there's no way that I'd offer any sort of refund without getting the damaged part back. There are too many slimy bastards out there trying to get things for free on someone else's dime. If you had taken pictures and contacted the seller through eBay as soon as you recognized the problem, you'd probably have your money back or another replacement part. If you had a new part shipped to you from a dealer and it arrived damaged, would you have handled it the same way? Asking for a partial refund after modifying the part?

Old 03-16-2017, 07:32 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Fault_Code_Factory
I ordered a clock spring for my LR3, listed on eBay by ky_scrap1, and described as being "in great shape... all wire connections are clean and bright". The connections had been damaged, apparently by careless removal from the original vehicle. This became apparent when my mechanic was fitting the clock spring. He had to re-terminate it in order to fit it. Naturally, he charged me for his labor time.

I requested a partial refund, but ky_scrap1 refused this (through eBay customer services) because 'the part was no longer in the condition it had been in when I received it' - i.e. damaged! So my advice would be to only buy from ky_scrap1 if you don't need the part in a hurrry. You should leave time to check it, return it and argue about the quality, because if you do what you need to do to get the part (and your car) working, you risk being out of pocket.

This transaction has shaken my faith in eBay for used car parts, too. eBay customer services removed my negative feedback - polite, measured, factual, but negative - because customer services agreed I had altered the part and that it now worked. That's thanks to my mechanic, and no thanks to eBay or ky_scrap1.
Why is an LR3 post in the D2 forum?

Old 03-16-2017, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Because he piggy backed off a old thread

Quick Reply: Heads up for parts from ebay seller "ky_scrap1"