Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated seats, anyone thought of.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Heated seats, anyone thought of.....

Speaking of heated seats, yesterday was the first time I tried my heatedseats. "Holly cow Batman"that sucker got warm an cozzy. That was my first time sitting in a heated seat soI have nothing else to compare it with. The only thing that was missing is a massage optionand it would feel like a lazy boy chair.

I do have one question, once you turn on the heat, is it on a timer or thermosatically controled? It seemed if it was left on for a long time the seats (an its circuit) would get rea hot and a timer or thermostat would protect the circuit.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They are thermostatically controlled. Once they are up to temp, they stay at that temperature.

The ones I had In my A8 had 6 settings, on 6 you was boiling your assss [:@]

Old 10-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: Urban Panzer
They are thermostatically controlled. Once they are up to temp, they stay at that temperature.
The ones I had In my A8 had 6 settings, on 6 you was boiling your assss [:@]
Excluding the dash, I've taken apart every inch of my interior and I do not remember seeing any type of setting like your A8. Is the thermostat internal and non-adjustable? Common sense tells me LR would haveincluded a overload protection circuit (besides afuse) to prevent you from boiling yourassss.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No there is no adjustment for the heated seats on a LR, at least not DI's.
I have so much insulation on my butt I dont even use my heated seats.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The temperature control unit is only fitted to vehicles with electric seats. Feed back of the seat temperature is via a
Negative Temperature Coefficient (NTC) sensor within the seat cushion. Resistance of this sensor changes with the
temperature of the seat cushion allowing the temperature control unit to lower or raise the voltage to the seat heater
elements to raise or lower their temperature.
An ignition feed is supplied via the seat heater switch. The temperature sensor supplies an input. Output is a supply
to the cushion heater element and an earth.

Thermostat

On vehicles with non electric seats, the temperature is controlled by a thermostat located in the seat cushion. The
thermostat interrupts the power supply when it reaches a pre-determined temperature.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: Urban Panzer
The temperature control unit is only fitted to vehicles with electric seats. Feed back of the seat temperature is via a Negative Temperature Coefficient (NTC) sensor within the seat cushion. Resistance of this sensor changes with the temperature of the seat cushion allowing the temperature control unit to lower or raise the voltage to the seat heater elements to raise or lower their temperature. An ignition feed is supplied via the seat heater switch. The temperature sensor supplies an input. Output is a supply to the cushion heater element and an earth.
Thermostat
On vehicles with non electric seats, the temperature is controlled by a thermostat located in the seat cushion. The thermostat interrupts the power supply when it reaches a pre-determined temperature.
Upon further usage of the heated seats it appears you're correct. This morning I took a ridein the Disco while usingthe seat heater. What I noticewasthe seat would get hot, then cool down (but still warm) then hot again, then cool.Sounds like my Negative Temp Coefficient sensor was working as design, adjustingthe supply voltage as seat temp changed.