Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Up: No Symptoms otherwise...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010 | 03:58 PM
|
Winching

I'll check it out... my next question of course will be, How the heck am I getting an air pocket in my coolant?

I sloppily topped off the coolant in my 2000 DII last Spring (didn't even bleed it by raising the reservoir) after putting a new radiator in, and I've:

a) Never got any air pocket.

b) Never had to add coolant.

I don't understand how this closed system, that isn't leaking, which isn't burning coolant, could be drawing in air.

This is very..... Gay.

Old 04-20-2010 | 04:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Welcome to my world of odd quirky auto repair. Just when I think I have got Audi's down, they hit me with something different. My fellow techs and I say this at least twice a week: "Hmmm, I have never seen that before"

Like I said before. I am not completely familiar with Land Rover cooling systems. This is only a hunch based on what you have said was the problem. As far as you can tell it is not overheating correct? No coolant on the ground? This was not happening before or noone has conceded this is normal?

All questions I would be asking if it was my vehicle.

Old 04-21-2010 | 01:23 AM
Mudding

The dash guage has 3 positions:

Cold, Normal and your engine is toast. I wouldn't doubt for a second it was leading you on a wild goose chase, but I'd make damn sure about that before your trip.

ScanGuage II or an IR thermo on the top hose.

Old 04-21-2010 | 05:29 AM
|
Winching

Roger that, guys- thanks for the great advice.

I bled the cooling system with EXTREME PREJUDICE last night... but I don't think there was a molecule of air in there. It didn't heat up on a test drive or this morning to my office, but it doesn't always...

I'll be leaving before a digital gauge like those could get here, so I'll try to find one locally. I assume they just plug into the OBDII port down by your right foot?

Thanks gents. I'm not TOO worried about the trip, since it's mostly freeway, but there is that stint through the Chicago Skyway that can sometimes become congested and require a wait in traffic.

I was going to use the shoe polish I keep in my console to write "D.H.S. Certified Right-Wing Extremist" on the back window for the trip, but I must say, this has me feeling a wee bit less cocky than normal... maybe I'll play it safe and go the "please don't bash the windows on my abandoned Disco" route.

Old 04-21-2010 | 08:17 AM
Mudding

That is a very odd problem man!! I'm sorry this is happening to you... Yeah, your best bet, only because you never know if the computer is telling "the whole truth and nothing but the truth", would be the SGII which does plug into your OBDII port!

best of luck and keep us posted man...

regards,

Old 04-21-2010 | 08:21 AM
|
Winching

Thanks so much, Shane. I'll call around to find one of those, and keep you posted!

Talk to you soon!

Pat

Old 04-21-2010 | 08:32 AM
Mudding

yeah man, for sure, also, you said you were going to be traveling, try and call ahead to a bigger town or city and look for a pep-boys or auto-zone or maybe advanced auto parts, something of that nature.. shoot man, even wal-mart may have one, who knows?? I got mine from amazon.com, but i had some time to wait. In your case, I would just pull the trigger asap ya know!

regards,

Old 04-21-2010 | 09:28 AM
|
Winching

GREAT news.

My autozone right here in town ordered me a ScanGaugeII, and it'll be in tomorrow at 3pm.

I'm looking forward to getting some ACTUAL readings now. You guys watch- I'll get it hooked up and find out that I've got about 5psi oil pressure, hahahaha.

Talk to you soon. Thanks again for all the help!

Old 04-22-2010 | 12:49 AM
Mudding

You'll need some readings to not wig yourself out with the gauge. I bet all trucks are different but here are mine:

198 on the freeway, before and after a new thermostat.

202 to 206 in mid to low speed and traffic situations.

211 highest I saw without a mechanical problem, summertime, idling in traffuvk.

Saw 215 when I had a leak in the thermostat, but not above that.

I live in so cal where the average temp is something like 72 degrees

Hope that helps.

Old 04-22-2010 | 06:38 AM
|
Winching

That helps a lot, friend- thank you. What would you say is the 'danger zone' temperature?

Picking up my SGII tonight, and Mandy gets her cruise fixed, and a new stabilizer bar installed today, in the 2000 DII.

Quick Reply: Heated Up: No Symptoms otherwise...