Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heater core

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 04:28 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater core

i am a total newb. i am also able to follow instructions. i did download the manual. coolant is spraying on my windshield. it's the heater core or heater matrix,(wtf?) someone please get me started in the right direction. i already did a water pump and a thermostat.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by montana968
coolant is spraying on my windshield. it's the heater core or heater matrix,(wtf?) someone please get me started in the right direction.
If you've diagnosed a heater core, and already downloaded Rave, the right direction is pretty obvious: remove the old heater core and have it repaired or replace it with a new one.

You can't be actually asking that question (I hope), so how about asking specifically what you want to know?

Old 05-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Which side of the w/s is the coolant spraying on? If it is the inside, stop driving it ASAP cause you will shut down a lot of your electrical and have a huge $ expense.
How mechanic are you?

Old 05-02-2011, 02:14 AM
Drifting

i wanted to know where to start. that is all. the coolant is spraying all over the windshield not one particular place. i have 1 year welding, 2 years auto, and 1 year mechanical engineering. 3 years in auto shops. I can and will listen to instructions, but don't insult me from 2 states away, don't be a keyboard tough guy. I have looked at many manuals over the year and the, "rave" is the worst one ever.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by montana968
I have looked at many manuals over the year and the, "rave" is the worst one ever.
If you think Rave is the worst, you haven't looked at many manuals.

Rave is average. Ford is horrible. Porsche is superb (German OCD is good for some things).

If you have so much experience and time in a shop, why haven't you just pulled the Alldata procedure for this if you don't like Rave?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

3 years in auto? I think DiscoMike has over 30 years in Land Rovers.

Eric

Old 05-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rave is concise and to the point, not filled with fluff. If you have an understanding of mechanics then rave is a suitable reference for specifics. I have no problem following rave and I'm a freaking programmer.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Three Wheeling

I recently had a heater core issue at the same time as a head gasket issue. One thing that I would like to suggest to you is to not immediately assume it is the heater core just because you have coolant coming back into the cabin. It can very easily be part of the tubing going back to the heater core as was the case with me. I had coolant leaking into my driver's side and just assumed that it had to be the heater core. After replacing the heater core and head gaskets I still had a small leak that was leaking down the firewall and back into the driver's side the same problems I was having before. After doing a whole lot of searching, I realized that it was at the firewall where the hoses connected to the pipes going into the firewall. When the car was running and the system was under pressure, it was blowing coolant back into the system and that is where the leak was. Not saying that is your problem, but if you don't know for sure that it is the heater core, check everything around the firewall before you remove the dash, because that is one pain in the rear job.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:20 AM
Drifting

well, maybe I got a little off on the wrong foot, i am truly sorry i went off like i did. it occurred to to me that maybe i was being asked what my mechanical experiance was is because so disco mike could know where to start in giving me advice. It has been my experiance that coolant all over your windsheild(or floor) is always a heater core. I have done many before in different vehicles and was just looking for a starting point. I will have to admit my am a little jumpy do to my dealings with other forums, I hate keyboard tough guys. having a chance to think for a while I don't think this was the case, so if we could start over, i would respect that very much.