Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater Core Gurgling sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 01:58 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Core Gurgling sound

Hi,

New to the forum but not rovers.

My most recent is an 01 disco II Se7

When I first purchased it I noted a gurgling sound comming from beneath the dash. The sound occurs on all turns stops and accell. I brought it to the dealer and they found no coolant leaks, but bled the system and it went away. That was 3 years ago.

It happened again a year or two ago, had the dealer fix again during a routine service visit.

Now that the vehicle is 4 years old (more importantly, out of warrantee), It began again.

Sloshing sound from beneath the dash heard on all turns, stops, or accell. It sounds as if someone is pouring quart of water behind the dash on most vehicle turns.

My question is , Is this a common problem (or just common to my vehicle)
What is causing it to reoccur if there are no coolant leaks
Can I fix it myself?

Thanks

Phil DiGiglio

Old 04-13-2005, 12:53 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Heater Core Gurgling sound

Hi,

I had the exact problem with the exact truck. I spoke to the dealer about it (still under warranty) and they did find a small leak in both the rad and water pump. They replaced both and no more noise. I assume it's some air getting into the system that allows the noise to happen.
Check for leaks and good luck

Bob

Old 04-14-2005, 12:34 AM
Winching

Phil,

It's just common to your vehicle.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Mudding

I would also look at your coolant level, and see if you are loosing any. Some of the Disco's have had radiator leak problems.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:09 PM
4wd Low

Phil,

I had a 99 disco II with the same problem. The gurgling comes from right behind the radio console, right? That noise is air in your heater core, and means you have a slow leak somewhere in your coolant system. You'll probably notice that your heater starts to get weak, and only blows hot air when you're accelerating. I had my mechanic go over it twice, the first time he tightened a couple of clamps but the problem still persisted. I took it back a second time and finally he found the last leak. Just a few loose clamps, nothing expensive thankfully.

I've read that the disco II coolant system is difficult to bleed. Your mechanic might want to try elevating the front end of the truck on some ramps when he refills the coolant. "They" say that this helps.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:06 PM
4th Gear

I recently purchased a very nice 00 Black Land Rover. I have noticed this gurgling noise under very light acceleration (usually can hear as I decelerate also). Is this common with Land Rovers? If I'm not listening for it or listening to the radio, it's not noticeable. But I'm one of those people that hear everything. Okay to ignore and continue driving?

Old 08-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Rock Crawling

I have a 96 disco. same problem, common one. just watch the coolant levels. I have never had any problems, and have yet to find out exactly what the cause it. I do know that it is air trapped somewhere. Had the system pressure tested. nothing. hope it helps. gotta love a rover. duboff

Old 08-27-2005, 10:12 PM
4th Gear

Thanks Duboff. The Rover is great!!!