Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater Core O-Rings....maybe

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:59 PM
JAC
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Core O-Rings....maybe

For the past few days I've noticed a small loss of coolant from the reservoir. This morning I found where it was going--my passenger side floorboard. I scanned this site and a couple others and it sounds like my problem may be bad heater core o-rings. I did replace the heater matrix hoses about a month ago because one of them had started to leak.

How difficult is this job to do? I found this how-to guide for a Range Rover (http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdet...html#shortcuts). How similar is this procedure to what needs to be done to an 04 Discovery? Any tips for removing the carpet? I have the RAVE manual, but have no desire to remove the dash (or to pay a mechanic at least $500 to fix two O-Rings).

The fluid is definitely coolant, not water. It is concentrated on the passenger side very close to the door. A little bit seeped back to the rear passenger side as well. I've done what I can to soak up the fluid, but will remove the carpet, shampoo it, and lysol it to prevent it from smelling forever.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Overlanding

I have the same problem now, did you figure out how to fix them?

Old 11-12-2009, 06:14 PM
JAC
Three Wheeling

I think I replied to your thread, but I ended up taking it in to an indy shop that specializes in British vehicles. It was actually the heater core. I do not have the space to do that kind of work, so I sucked it up.

Good luck!

Old 11-16-2009, 02:50 PM
JAC
Three Wheeling

The saga continues...

I went out yesterday morning to use some carpet cleaner to make sure I got the last of the coolant out of the carpet. What do you know...it's wet again. I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow morning so they can fix it again. I've had it back for a week, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and see how well they correct their mistake.