Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater Only Works When Moving

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Heater Only Works When Moving

Okay, well yesterday morning I realized my heater wasn't working, but then however as I got on the road and began to move heat started coming out of the vents. However as soon as I stop it starts blowing cold air until I'm moving yet again.

Whats the deal?

Old 01-16-2009, 06:56 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heater Only Works When Moving

i have this same problem. we were discussing this very subject the other day. i found i have a leak at the throttle body heater and its causing air to get in the system. apparently fixing the leak and bleeding the system will fix it, i'm going to try it this weekend. Are you also getting a gurgling noise from the passenger side from the heater core? it is all tell tale signs of an air bound system.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I haven't paid much attention to any gurgling noise, but now that you mention it I will be sure to check and see if I can hear it. I certainly hope that if I do have the same problem as you finding and fixing that air leak with solve the problem.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So, this has beeen posted hundreds of times on all the different Rover forums. Start by doing so research, once you have a better idea what is happening then ask your specific question.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Mudding

cranky Mike? i agree that its been all over, but for the newbies on here, its helpful to see stuff like this, and searching takes alot of time, something not all of us have. one thing about this forum is that EVERYONE likes to help out!

Old 01-16-2009, 07:21 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The gurgling sound is an air bubble in the heater core. Once you bleed the system the sound will go away and the heater will keep you nice and toasty. My heater works so well now that I swear I could bake a cake in there with the heat turned all the way up.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

No, not cranky, more tired of people asking the same questions over and over without taking it upon themselves to do a little research before they ask. I bet nearly half of my total posts on this site or repeats because people won't just look a little on their own.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Mudding

i had the thermostat problem about two months ago. put a new one in and it worked great. but then this slow leak at the throttle body let air in, and now its the coldest its been here in over 5 years and i'm waiting for the new gasket!!

Old 01-16-2009, 07:33 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I edited my previous post after I reread what Street Wolf wrote because mine was just the opposite of what he described. With my thermostat stuck open I would have heat and the coolant temp would be in the normal range when I was sitting still but as soon as I started down the road the cool air through the radiator would cool the engine and my heat from the heater would gradually get cooler also. I thought my lack of heat from the heater was being caused by an air bubble and tried to bleed it but couldn't because the engine wasn't getting hot enough. Replaced the thermostat, bled the system and all is well.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Mudding

speaking from experience, i have tried to search on this thing, and finding answers is not always easy!! and nothing beats your expertise Mike! plus, you are retired, aren't you? what better way to spend your time then to help us out, so that one day you won't have to answer so many of our questions!!!

Quick Reply: Heater Only Works When Moving