Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Heavy" steering after steering box replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Heavy" steering after steering box replacement

Hey guys, just replaced my steeing box with a refurbished unit and the steering is heavy, very smooth and all, but it just takes a bit of effort to turn the wheel. Not sure if I have a bad box or if this is the way it is supposed to feel? Also, I have a bit of play in the steering wheel, hence the new gearbox......I could watch the intermediate steering shaft where it goes in to the steering box moving, but the pitman arm wasnt moving at all hence the new box. However now the wheel still has play in it with the new steering box so I think it may be the steering shaft. Any thoughts? not sure what else it could be. I have adjusted the nut on top of the steering box and it doesnt help any. Thanks........

Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you are adjusting the steering box, did you do it with the wheels at full lock?
if you adjust it with the wheels straight, it will cause it to bind.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Overlanding

I have tried to adjust it all different ways, and its not really binding, its just harder to turn than the old box was. I dont know, may not be any issue with the box

Old 06-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you bleed the system?

Old 06-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Overlanding

Yes, all bled out. Just wonder if this is how the steering was from the factory. The looseness I think is in the steering shaft though, just seems like the upper end of the shaft moves more than the steering box input. Thinking the Ujoints on the shaft maybe going out.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by texci77
Yes, all bled out. Just wonder if this is how the steering was from the factory. The looseness I think is in the steering shaft though, just seems like the upper end of the shaft moves more than the steering box input. Thinking the Ujoints on the shaft maybe going out.
Did you try grabbing the shaft and seeing if you can move it around by hand?

Old 06-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Overlanding

Ok, just went out to check, if i grab the steering shaft and turn by hand the whole thing turns, even the input on the steeringbox......assuming that means the adjustment screw isn't tight enought?

Old 06-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by texci77
Ok, just went out to check, if i grab the steering shaft and turn by hand the whole thing turns, even the input on the steeringbox......assuming that means the adjustment screw isn't tight enought?
correct the adjustment scew takes out the play in the steering box. The the box is probably stiffer because it's not worn out.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Overlanding

Great, thanks for the response, I will try and get rid of that slop after work. Hard to tell how tight to get it with out going too tight......dont want to blow up the new one! I will report back after I adjust it again to let you know if that worked.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Mudding

I just replaced my gear box 4 weeks ago, and the steering was much stiffer than with my old box. After 2 days of driving, I forgot what my old box was like and it now seems perfectly fine. Its probably just stiffer because its not as worn out as your old one.

Quick Reply: "Heavy" steering after steering box replacement